JAG/Why did Admiral Chegwidden retire?

Question
I'm not asking why John M. Jackson left the show. I want to know why, as depicted on "JAG," the admiral retired. At one point, he was portrayed as in line to hold the top Navy job – as I recall. I haven't been able to watch the show for years but I have the impression that his retirement was not entirely voluntary.  Also, where could I find more “biographical” information on the admiral?

Answer
Hi Pete - As depicted on the show, he'd been reunited with his daughter after a long estrangement and then gotten engaged and caught his girlfriend in bed with someone else. So there had been some major changes/upheaval in his life.  As I remember he doesn't really give a reason other than he felt it was time.  He wanted to spend time with his daughter and do some of the things he'd been wanting to do.  The top job would have been more political, and that really wasn't his style.  It seemed more as if he'd done pretty much everything he'd set out to accomplish for himself in the Navy and was ready to move on.  The Admiral made a guest appearance on NCIS defending Jethro Gibbs, so we know he continued to work in law after his retirement.

When the JMJAS site was still up, we had biographical information on the admiral on that site.  Now you can find some biographical information on the character on Wikipedia.

JAG

Nancy Pratt