Jack Russells/my etty is a Jack Russell maybe labor????

QUESTION: Etty has had 2 litters before 1st had 4 girls, 2nd 2 boy and girl twins. This is her 3rd, My etty has a husband snooper and we have one of her pups from 1st liter kloe. They are a good family and complete our family. well both labors she had her water alrready broke in in the night while asleep so i never got to see her start labor. Well i am thinking she is starting labor cause he is licking her vulva, whining, digging, she wont leave my side, and freaks out if I am too far away from her.  Daddy is trying to help her but she isnt liking him near her. She has been doing this since last night around 7pm, now its the next day and still nothing. How long will this go on cause last 2 times like i said i woke up to wet bed, YUK, but I do have a baby pool for her and she is going in it and digging the towels in it. What do you think?? I am staying up tonight to observe her. Thank you for your thoughts.

ANSWER: She definitely sounds like she is in labor. Get the male dog out of the area, he is making her nervous!!! I NEVER have the males around during birth, it's too stressful on the mom, they aren't like us and need their husbands around for comfort. She would prefer quiet, low light, low stress, no noise and you'll see how much she calms down and has those puppies. All she is thinking about is protecting those puppies from HIM !!!!! Get him out and things will move forward!! Good luck, and definitely stay with her, it's OVER time they are born.

QUESTION: Thank you, I have moved the pool into my bedroom beside my bed.  The pool is on an ottoman next to my bed so she is right beside me.  I see she follows me around the house and then she goes back to the pool by herself.  I watched her and seen she is taking her teeth gently licking and nibbeling and pulling her lower stomache just below her last nipple. I dont know if she is trying to break her water or what she is doing. Again, thank you very much.

You're welcome Rinda,

You're doing a good job, it shouldn't be too much longer.
You'll know when she is in full labor when she starts panting heavily, and shaking -  then keep her in your room at all times where there is no stress, low lighting and you.  She'll do great!
Good luck!!!

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985