Jack Russells/jack russell

I have two jack russells at home. they are mother and doughter. They live together very well. Mother is 9 and the girl is 5 years old. She keeps her mum active all the time and they don't get bored.
even though she knows the boss is her mother this year they started to fight each other. Not very often but sometimes she is not holding herself up and answering. In those cases ı am shouting both of them sending them to their own place.
The problem is the girl will have babies next month. that means the mother will be grandmother. I am worried about the babies. will she gets jealous, what if she wants to hearth babies ?
I wont hold the babies, but they should stay at least 2 months
What would you advise me?
thankyou very much

Hello Tuba,

When hormones are running high, such as in pregnancy, females can be very emotional and grouchy. Your girl is just doing the natural thing and being protective of herself and those growing babies. When the babies do come, it would be best for about 3 to 4 weeks to keep grandmother away from both the babies and her daughter. I keep my new moms and babies upstairs alone in my bedroom.  If she feels that the babies are in any danger, she will fight to protect them, it's just instincts kicking in.
Slowly introduce the puppies to the grandmother one at a time when they are over 3-4 weeks old. Usually the mother has calmed down by then... but if not, give it more time and try again.
Please make sure you DO hold those puppies and give them lots of love and human attention. This will make them good dogs. The mother of the puppies will be a little bit nervous at first but will come to trust you the more you interact. Puppies need to be held, and loved by humans to make them good pets.  Don't be afraid because she will feel that and act accordingly.  
Everything will be back the way it was after the moms hormones are back to normal. What you are going through is normal, simple biology.  Best of luck with ALL of them!!!  

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Mills.com Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985