Jack Russells/crate

Question
Our 12 yr old Jack Russell Terrier, Daisy, no longer wants to sleep in her crate which she has done every night since she was a puppy. She cries and whines for at least a half hour or more.  This started when we went away for the weekend at Christmas.  She was taken care of by our neighbor who she has always known and loves.  We take turns caring for each others dog when one of us is away.  What do we to change this behavior?

Answer
Hi Linda,

It's so hard to figure things out because our dogs can't talk to us.....
Daisy could definitely be worried that you will be going away again.  Did your neighbor have her the entire time or just come over and check in on her? Perhaps being locked in the crate at night without you there was scary for her....in which case, she might just might need time to re-adjust.  You could put a shirt or something with your scent on it inside the crate with her at night so she can "smell"/"feel" you.  You should also check that maybe she is uncomfortable in it? Does she stay in it during the day? If so, that's  not the problem, but if not, maybe a nice new fluffy bed would help.  Age 12 she may be experiencing a little arthritis or something. Is the crate downstairs while you're upstairs at night? Perhaps you could either sleep downstairs with her for a few nights or bring the crate up into your room just to reassure her for a little while.  
If all else fails, a trip to the veterinarian for a check up could be in order.  I wish you the very best of luck with Daisy!  
Please accept my apologies for not responding right away, somehow this question slipped by.
Take care.

Jack Russells

Carol F