Jack Russells/Jack Russell Puppy

Hi Carol,

My husband and I were given an adorable Jack Russell puppy for Christmas.  He is adorable and we love him very much.  The puppy's name is Paco.  His mother is a short hair JR and his father is a long hair JR.  How often should I bathe my puppy?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Judy,

Unless Paco likes to play in the mud every day, it's best to keep bathing to a minimum as it dries out their skin and can cause itching, flaking and allergies. Wire haired jacks need special brushing and grooming but not short or long haired jacks, there is a difference.
Jacks usually keep themselves very clean and have a natural coat that repels most dirt.
Once a month is even a little much, but you will have to use your own discretion (and nose!)

Take care, hope this helped.  

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985