Jack Russells/Chewing Testicles

Hi Carol,my jack has been chewing his balls badly.I thought it was fleas its very hot here in Perth Aust.I got one of those head collars to stop him.He is about 6yrs,his balls are healing but now today i noticed his left leg is swollen up.I am not rich but love my little guy,what can i do.Should i take off the head collar,he is still eating & drinking he just looks very unhappy.He still wagged his tail today.Just this leg thing started today.Please help us.Thank you

Hi Rick,

It's really hard to know what's going on without seeing him but if it's not fleas, it sounds like a heat rash or possible allergies...? However, now that the leg is swollen, it might be a bee sting or something else. A trip to the veterinarian is really the only thing you can do. You should go now before it gets worse and ends up causing him more distress and you more money. Untreated it could spread, get infected, or grow.  He might need a simple antibiotic. He looks unhappy because none of them like those collars, but he is probably miserable from the itching and maybe even pain. Please take him today.  Best of luck to all.  

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985