Jack Russells/Jack Russell and Carin terrier in same household

We have a 4 yr. old carin terrier who is basicaly attached at my hip; anytime I sit down he is on my lap; follows me throughout the house and is somewhat sedentiary; we allow him and our 8 yr. old cat to sleep in bed with us, although the dog does have a crate where he spends days while we are at work or when the bed gets too crowded; our vet has a jack russell mix who was abused, and may loose his left front leg; it is broken at the elbow and they are not sure if it can be saved; I understand they are quite an active dog; we have little over an acre of yard , but are in a residential area and do not have a fence so there are yard boundaries and mild residential traffic issues; the Carin goes out on a lease for potty and we walk once a day 30 - 50 minutes; we think the introduction of a friend would be good for the carin but wonder if the Jack is adaptable to sharing a household with another dog and cat; the Jack 14 weeks old

Hi David,

I was a tiny bit concerned reading this at first, but then when I read the jack is only 14 weeks old it changed everything.  I think it's a great idea and I think your young Cairn terrier will enjoy the company and become more active with a friend to share his home with! That is so sad about the abuse and you will have to earn the puppies trust, but his age is a positive thing and you can give him a good life. How very kind of you! You'll definitely have to leash him out in the yard (or put up a fence!) but the walks will be wonderful for all of you. Wishing you the very best of luck and thanking you for considering this pup.

Take care

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985