Jack Russells/JRT heat cycle

QUESTION: Hello and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Sadie, thats my JRT, came in heat about the second week of March. Then by the end of the month she stopped bleeding. Is this normal? I know she is pregnant because she is about to pop! When she became pregnant did that stop her from bleeding and stop her heat cycle?

ANSWER: Yes Theresa a normal heat cycle generally lasts 2 weeks...
The bleeding stops on it's own regardless if they get pregnant or not, usually after 2 weeks.

Sorry for lateness of this answer, I've been out of town and forgot to change my status to "unavailable".  Take care, good luck.

Sadies Puppies
Sadies Puppies  
QUESTION: Thank you for answering my question. I was wondering if you could tell me when Sadie might be due to deliver if she became pregnant around the 2nd or 3rd week of March, when would she be due? Her belly seems to be growing daily, lol, and her milk is beginning to come in, but sometimes she has a hard time breathing. Thank you in advance for all your expert advice.
Teresa (TJ) Combs

Hi Theresa,

Gestation for these dogs runs anywhere between 56 and 60 days -
So you should count the days from when she was bred up to 60 days and that will give you
a good idea of when she will be having the pups. If you don't know the exact dates you'll have to keep an eye on her within those time ranges.  You could start to take her temperature (rectally# every day at the same time every day. Normal temps range from 100-102 -  
When her temperature takes a noticeable drop #99 degrees# that is a very good indicator that she will be having the puppies within the next 24 hours.  She will also give you other signs, like "nesting" in her bed #gathering all the covers up). She might stop eating, she might vomit, she may have diarrhea for a day, etc. Heavy panting will occur and then labor will begin. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!  

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985