Jack Russells/Adding a jack puppy

I have an 8 year old female and we are wanting to add a new male puppy to our family. Our female is spoiled but got along very well with our male who passed 2 years ago at the age of 16. She likes to nest with her stuffed animals and we are hoping that she won't hurt the new puppy. Any suggestions for an easy transition or steps to take and signs that it could be disastrous.

Thanks in advance for any help and information. Have a great day!

Hello Leslie

I see you've put a lot of thought into this decision and that's a good thing! I think it's the best thing you can do to get your dog a friend.  Make sure you buy from a reputable breeder and that the parents of the pup both have excellent dispositions.  There are a few things you can do that will make the introduction and meeting a positive one.
If you can visit the new pup before bringing him home, bring his scent home on a hand towel or something (rub him with it) so your dog will familiarize herself with his smell. Put it in  her bed.
Have the two meet OUTSIDE on the front lawn, supervised. That way you aren't bringing the pup into "her" territory.  She will establish dominance right away.. meaning the puppy will get the message that she, for now, is "top dog".  When you go back in the house, make sure the puppy FOLLOWS her inside. This makes sure she feels unthreatened about being replaced and the puppy will learn respect.  YOU should ultimately be the first ones through the door, then the female and then the puppy.
Make sure the puppy has his own bed, own bowl, own toys, own blanket etc. Don't take anything FROM the female and give to the new pup.  Eventually they will share everything, but in the beginning it's important that they establish an understanding. She will take his new things but that's ok for now.
Give each dog time with you alone. Take your female for a walk, give her an extra cuddle on the couch, etc. Shower her with affection, reinforce your love to her.  
Keep everything positive so she knows this is a good thing.
Eventually she will grow to love him, not feel threatened, appreciate his company and form a lifelong bond.  
I'm so happy for you, and wish you the very best of luck!!!!!  

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985