Jack Russells/Rescue 2JRT's at once

We are considering rescuing two JRT's.  One is a male under a year old.  The other is a female about 5 months old.  They are in separate foster homes.  Based on the descriptions from their foster parents, they both get along well with other dogs. We have owned Jacks in the past and are familiar with the breed.  Any suggestions or special considerations we should be thinking about.  Thanks.

Hi Larry!

Wow that is amazing that you are rescuing TWO jacks!!!  
I wish I could give you a firm answer that they will be great together, but as is true with ALL dog breeds, some of them JUST DON'T LIKE EACH OTHER.  One of them (probably the male because he's older and is a male....# will be the leader and one of them will be the submissive.  If I were you, I would definitely plan a day or two out with both of them in a public place #dog park, open field# and see how they do together BEFORE YOU COMMIT.  Hopefully they are both neutered/spayed which will calm down on their hormones #especially the male# but if not, please do that first!!
Treat them both equally; give them plenty of exercise, train with a good firm kind hand, love unconditionally and you know #Jacks# will give it all back to you.
If and when you bring them home -  make sure they both come in #any) door together. Which ever one is allowed into the home first will immediately think he/she is the dominant.  YOU and any other humans should always go in first, the dogs then follow you.  
You will know pretty quickly whether they will get along -  let them sniff and explore each other in their doggie way, don't be nervous or they'll feel it, and just observe. Don't commit to either foster family until you are SURE they will tolerate, love and bond with eachother.
Thank you for taking in rescue's -  it's people like you who make a difference!!
Very very best of luck!!!!  

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985