Jack Russells/Growling and biting Jack Russell at bedtime

Our 11 yr old JR is a lovely dog until time for bed, when he starts to growl and snap when you try to let him outside before bedtime.  Occasionally he will do this when woken during the day. We put a lead on him in the evening so that we can always drag him out, we've tried luring him from his bed with food which worked for a few weeks, but is not now.  As soon as he is on his feet, he wags his tail and is back to normal!
We feed him a good quality senior dry food mixed with similar tinned meat.  He eats well and has plenty of exercise.

Hello Sally,
It sounds like he does not want to be disturbed from his nice warm bed!
Perhaps he is having some arthritic pain somewhere that makes it uncomfortable to get up from
a lying down position.  He may need a joint supplement from the veterinarian to make him feel better.
I would go get him checked out for sure. Behavior changes for the worst are most often caused by
discomfort. Maybe ease up a little on the exercising too.  Wishing you best of luck.

Jack Russells

Carol F

Questions on "Jack" Russell Terriers pertaining to their health, well being, general questions on breed, types, size, shape, health, personalities, behavior problems, genetics, so called standard, what to look for when purchasing, and if you would be a good match with this wonderful and unique dog. Too many times, people buy jack puppies because they are absolutely adorable, and then a few months down the road they own this dog that they know nothing about and haven't prepared or trained for. I love the breed and everything about them and hope to provide some help, education and advice to current and prospective owners. I am a veterinary technician, dog trainer and breeder of Jack Russells.

I own four Jack Russells and I have been working with dogs for 30 years. My personal interest is in helping educate people about the very special qualities of this breed. I advocate education and research of the breed before you buy one, they are wonderful pets if suited with the right person/family. Do your homework first! I can help you determine if you are a good match with this breed. I want people to know also that there are two types of Jack Russells, the Parson hunter with long legs and the Shortie or Russell Terrier and their very distinct differences. I also hope to allay fears about their CRAZY reputations - which is not always the case. ~*~*~*IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ*~*~*~ PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF ANY JACK RUSSELLS OR JACK RUSSELL PUPPIES THAT MAY BE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. BEWARE OF PUPPY MILLS OR OTHER PLACES THAT SELL MANY DIFFERENT DOGS OVER THE INTERNET. ALSO I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY VIDEOS OR TRAINING TAPES THAT ARE ADVERTISED ON THIS PAGE. I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU PICK OUT A REPUTABLE TRAINER/VIDEO SERIES OR EVEN PUPPIES IF PRIVATELY ASKED. I DO NOT ENDORSE ANY SALES ADVERTISEMENTS ON THIS PAGE.

Jack Russell Meet Up Russell Terrier. net Attleboro Dog Park Committee No Puppy Humane Society

Veterinary Technician - Newbury College 1982 - 1985