Jack Russells/agressive behaviour towards puppy

Question
I live with my daughter and have an11year old jack russell female/spayed. She has never really liked other dogs, but it has mostly been just snapping and growling. My daughter has an 8 week old shihtzu puppy and my dog has twice snapped at her and made her cry. Have you please got any suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate this situation as it is impossible to permanently keep them apart. Thankyou ..... Delia

Answer
Yikes! At 11 years old, its going to be difficult to teach her not to snap at the puppy.  Unfortunately in this case I believe the puppy will on her own learn to stay away from the jack. Try VERY hard to keep diligent watch when they are together and LOUDLY CORRECT the jack BEFORE she has a chance to nip. Step in before it escalates. Correct the jack with a poke and loud voice the SECOND you see her getting aggressive. A spray water bottle helps with distance, keep it with you and spray the jack BEFORE it escalates.  You will have to be VERY consistent in the correction. Best of luck with the both of them.

Jack Russells

Carol F