You are here:

Jaguar Repair/1981 XJS rear impact absorbers


Hi Howard,

The impact absorbers on the rear of this pre HE 81 XJS coupe have been cut off flush with the tubing into which they fit. I cannot find access to them in the boot or elsewhere to knock them out so I can install the new ones I bought from a wrecker. Can you advise how I might go about removing these and how to gain access.


Paul C

Hi Paul,

Don't think I ever replaced one as I can remember but I do remember a bushing on the end. I can't remember if the stud on the end was threaded or not. Look at the one you got from the salvage yard and if it is threaded you may have to have a piece of metal welded to what is left of the old one to unscrew it. Or if the stud is not threaded you just need to get a long drill bit and drill a small hole in the bottom and use a large sheet metal screw in the end of a slide hammer (like body shops use) to pull it out. Sorry, it has been too many years since I seen one to remember what the end looked like.


Jaguar Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Howard M. Fitzcharles III


Jaguar from the XK 120 to XJ-6 ser. 3 1987


Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]