Jaguar Repair/1967 XKE gas tank

Hi and thanks in advance.
I'm helping a friend get his 1967 XKE convertible back in running order. The gas tank needs to be replaced. Is there an alternative to trying to find an OEM tank ?
Also, the head lights don't have the glass covering. Does this mean it's a Series 1.5 ?

best and thanks again !

Hi John,

I have not looked for an E-Type tank, so I am not sure what is available now. Even the Jaguar dealers are selling a lot of aftermarket parts. I deal a lot with Engel Imports (a Jaguar dealer and British car parts company) You should look them up on the Internet and ask if they have a tank for your car and ask if it is OEM or aftermarket. They are good people to deal with.

I was a Jag mechanic in dealerships all during the E-type span and as I remember all the 67s had the glass covered head lights and the 68 models had the slight chrome hump and the no glass. As I remember the 67's had three SU carburetors and the 68 had two Strombergs.

Back then the production date of the 7th month of 67-on was a normally a 68. Just from memory I don't remamber any 67's without the glass covered head lights and 3 SU's.

If there was any I missed seeing them. If there were any half year models of SU carbs and no glass our dealership didn't get any of them.

Jaguar Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Jaguar from the XK 120 to XJ-6 ser. 3 1987

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000