Jaguar Repair/XJ6 power steering leak

I noticed I have to keep topping up the power steering on my 84 xj6.  I had a look under the car and the steering rack rubber boot on the right side was wet with oil.  When I felt it oil squirted out a split on the top so fluid is filling up the rack boot.  I don't think this is normal so I guess a seal inside the rack has failed ?  I replaced the boot on the driver's side a while ago and I didn't see much oil inside it...

Hi Steve,

I am not much for temp fixes but I was faced with the same problem with my series III XJ-6 and I was lucky to have a extra used steering rack but it needed to be rebuilt so I ordered a rebuild seal kit for it and I decided to rebuild it and just change it with the leaking one on my car so I would just keep refilling it until I received the kit and had time to rebuild that extra rack. Since the rack on my car was bad and leaking and needed to be rebuilt I decided it could do on harm by putting in "Lucas Steering Rack Stop Leak" (not the Lucas electric)

That was two years ago and I have not added fluid since. My fresh rebuilt rack is still waiting on the shelf for this one to start leaking again. I know that is an average of one as I have never used that additive before but it worked.

I guess if I had it to do over again I would do the same thing, order a seal kit and while waiting for the kit put in the stop leak stuff.

Jaguar Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Jaguar from the XK 120 to XJ-6 ser. 3 1987

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000