Jaguar Repair/Daimler Double Six XJ40 engine

Question
QUESTION: I had a problem starting and changed the crankshaft sensor. It went Ok all that day but the next day it would not start. I tried cold start but still no joy. There is power on both ignition amplifiers and coil leads but nothing on the spark plug lead.  The VCM does not show a fault and all fuses are OK. Thankyou

ANSWER: It sounds like you may have a bad ignition coil. Also check the distributor cap and rotor and the ballast resistor if it has one. Go to( http://www.welshent.com/parts_catalogs.php ) and down load a catalog and it will show you most parts and there location. I hope that this helps.
Sam

QUESTION: Thanks! I don't have a round coil as illustrated , I have 2 ignition amplifiers one on either side of the distributor. There is power to both of them but nothing at plug leads?  This car was made 1/1994 VIN number 693663 which I believe is the XJ40 engine. I guess the fault must lie in the distributor? What sort of fault might I be looking for - worn rotor arm, shorting in the cap? Thanks again.

Answer
Please check to see if the cap or rotor is broken or crack or corroded. It is a good ideal to replace them after 50K Miles or so. That way you would eliminate them as a cause of your problem.
Also check to see that you are getting fuel to the rails. Also recheck your sensors and wiring to them. You could have bad wiring. Sam

Jaguar Repair

Sammie H. Parker