Jaguar Repair/oil pressure

to test your oil pressure to see what it is , do u remove the oil sending unit  on top of the oil filter and place a universal oil pressure gauge there to see what the pressure is . I am not sure my oil gauge is working
thank u

Hi Mike,

Yes most auto parts stores have hydraulic oil pressure gauges and they come with several fittings so often you don't need to go to a hardware store to get the proper fittings to adapt the hose to the car. Many electronic gauges are not reliable so we always keep a hydrolic gauge as a test unit to check oil pressure. Generally You should see 35 to 65 with cold oil on start up and 50 to 70 PSI at about 2000 RPM. After warm up you should see about 25 or above at idle and 45 to 70 PSI at 2000 RPM.

Lower readings indicates either a bearing problem or a stuck open pressure regulator valve. Or a very thin oil was installed or the oil is thinned out due to fuel contamination. Either way the engine should not be run with low oil pressure.

Let me know,

Jaguar Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Jaguar from the XK 120 to XJ-6 ser. 3 1987

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000