Jaguar Repair/engine bonnet/hood

The hood does not stay full open unless I prop it up.
Is there perhaps a spring missing?
And where would it be missing from?
Thank you

Hi David,

Look on the left side up close to the hinge and you will see a folding lever that restricts how far the hood can be opened. This folding lever has a spring plate that latches the hood in the open position when fully open. However the hood is so heavy that if the car is parked on an incline with the nose up. The weight of the hood will not be supported by that spring plate locking device. If you are not on an incline some part of that spring plate latch has either broken or came loose.

I never liked the design so I have considered installing a pair of spring hood struts. (available at most any auto parts stores.)

Jaguar Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Jaguar from the XK 120 to XJ-6 ser. 3 1987

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000