Jaguar Repair/engine bonnet/hood

Question
Howard,
The hood does not stay full open unless I prop it up.
Is there perhaps a spring missing?
And where would it be missing from?
Thank you
David

Answer
Hi David,

Look on the left side up close to the hinge and you will see a folding lever that restricts how far the hood can be opened. This folding lever has a spring plate that latches the hood in the open position when fully open. However the hood is so heavy that if the car is parked on an incline with the nose up. The weight of the hood will not be supported by that spring plate locking device. If you are not on an incline some part of that spring plate latch has either broken or came loose.

I never liked the design so I have considered installing a pair of spring hood struts. (available at most any auto parts stores.)

Howard  

Jaguar Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III