Jaguar Repair/zs 175 cd main needle

1977 Jaguar XJ6L 4.2 w/emissions (California/ North America)
How is the needle removed from the sleeve?
Thank you

There were two basic types I remember. One was just open at the top and when you unscrewed the adjusting screw out of the top of the brass unit the spring and needle would slide up out of the brass unit. I ran across one that had a small pin in the side of the brass case that held the needle and spring in. The ID was stamped into the side of the upper shank of the needle. There were earlier versions that were not spring loaded and mounted like an SU does.

I think all of the US emission car needles were spring loaded. My Stromberg book shows a needle that the brass piece is crimped closed and the needle and the brass piece are made together but I don't remember ever seeing that type.

Jaguar Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

Jaguar from the XK 120 to XJ-6 ser. 3 1987

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000