Jaguar Repair/1977 xj6

Question
Windscreen
Windscreen  

Manual
Manual  
Hello Howard
The three windscreen finishers on my car are corroded metal that once was chromed.
Salvaged 3 good ones from scrapyard.
They all had a strip of black sealant.
Is this black urethane?
Can silicone be substituted?
Jaguar's recommendation?
Thank you
David

Answer
Hi David,

I have used the Jaguar kit to reseal the whole windshield but I am not sure what the black sealer was. But the small clips can be sealed in with Silicone. But if the clips are not bent in a little to hold in place mechanically first, I would bend the the edges in a little so they tend to clip in and clean the area first and fill the area with Silicone sealer and force the clip in place and tape over it to hold it in place until the sealer is dry and remove the tape and trim the area a little.

Howard  

Jaguar Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III