Jamaica/Jamaica Registry Wedding

Hi Isabelle

I am having issues with trying to get married in Jamaica. Initially we were flying over and staying at the RIU in Negril and was working with the Registrar's office in Savanna-La-Mar to do a registry wedding.  I then changed my mind and decided to take a cruise to Montego Bay.  I was working with the Savanna-La-Mar parish officer who advised she would obtain the marriage license on my behalf and forward all the documents to Montego Bay for me.  I was also told that cruise ship passengers are excluded from the 24hr residency requirements.  My documents arrived and were sent to the home Registrar's office to be processed.  There is no problem with the license, however today the officer advised me that we would have to be on the island 24hrs prior??  I'm totally confused because in searching online, several wedding companies in Jamaica offer same day weddings.  Please help me understand which information is correct. I have asked for a refund of my license fees; however I'm thinking about proceeding with the license in case the parish officer was incorrect.  Please let me know what is the correct requirements for cruise ship passengers who get the marriage license in advance.

Dear Cherie,

Thank you for your kind email, and do apologize for the slight delay in writing you back. I have tried to obtain some information for you, as I didn't want to mislead you.

I know that a lot of marriages do take place in Jamaica for passengers of Cruise Ships, and the 24 hours requirements do not apply for them, as they live the same day.

But someone is doing some investigating on my behalf, and will write you back again as soon as I hear back. Again, I wouldn't want to give you wrong information.

Wishing you to have a safe new day,

Isabelle Stewart

Originally from France, I moved to Jamaica 20 years ago, and am an independent Island Wedding Planner, in the Negril area. Knowing how to deal with the Legal Documents involved in all aspects of Weddings/Marriages, I also specialize in searching for Marriage Certificates that have been lost or need to be replaced as well as obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates. I am also able to help those who need to deal with the Legalization of Marriage for citizens of Spain, Germany, Italy, Russia, Poland, Switzerland, and Mexico, and more non-english speaking countries. I would love to be of assistance and can be reached via this site or by email at

Having been a Wedding Planner for over 15 years, I can answer a lot of questions, and have been very successful obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates for Individuals and Professionals.

A-Level, Major in English, French (France Educational Credentials)