Jamaica/Marrying a divorced Jamiacan

Question
Hi Isabelle,

I am in a relationship with a Jamaican man. I am in the UK and he is in Jamaica and I am travelling backwards and forwards. We want to get in Jamaica but then return to the UK together however he has to apply for a divorce first. He is currently married to a US citizen who lives in the US. What do we need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Dear Jo,

Thank you for your kind email, and wish to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding.

First, your boyfriend needs to divorce his current wife. He may do so at the Supreme Court in Kingston. (http://supremecourt.gov.jm/).

Once this is done (please find out the period for him to legally marry again from the day he is divorced), you then be married in Jamaica. You will need both your birth certificates, photo ID's (passports or drivers licences), his divorce decree, your occupations and your fathers names if not listed on your birth certificates.

Then you will have to contact the UK Embassy here in Kingston and Immigration to seek further information on how to travel to the UK.

I hope this is helpful, and do wish you to have a safe weekend,

Isabelle

Jamaica

Isabelle Stewart