You are here:

Jamaica/Marrying a divorced Jamiacan


Hi Isabelle,

I am in a relationship with a Jamaican man. I am in the UK and he is in Jamaica and I am travelling backwards and forwards. We want to get in Jamaica but then return to the UK together however he has to apply for a divorce first. He is currently married to a US citizen who lives in the US. What do we need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Dear Jo,

Thank you for your kind email, and wish to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding.

First, your boyfriend needs to divorce his current wife. He may do so at the Supreme Court in Kingston. (

Once this is done (please find out the period for him to legally marry again from the day he is divorced), you then be married in Jamaica. You will need both your birth certificates, photo ID's (passports or drivers licences), his divorce decree, your occupations and your fathers names if not listed on your birth certificates.

Then you will have to contact the UK Embassy here in Kingston and Immigration to seek further information on how to travel to the UK.

I hope this is helpful, and do wish you to have a safe weekend,



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Isabelle Stewart


Originally from France, I moved to Jamaica 20 years ago, and am an independent Island Wedding Planner, in the Negril area. Knowing how to deal with the Legal Documents involved in all aspects of Weddings/Marriages, I also specialize in searching for Marriage Certificates that have been lost or need to be replaced as well as obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates. I am also able to help those who need to deal with the Legalization of Marriage for citizens of Spain, Germany, Italy, Russia, Poland, Switzerland, and Mexico, and more non-english speaking countries. I would love to be of assistance and can be reached via this site or by email at


Having been a Wedding Planner for over 15 years, I can answer a lot of questions, and have been very successful obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates for Individuals and Professionals.

A-Level, Major in English, French (France Educational Credentials)

©2017 All rights reserved.