Jamaica/Can my marriage be annuled?

Hi,I'm a 25 years old University student.I got married less than 2 months ago to a 47 years old American.He has been married twice and I've now found out that he's sick in the head.We didn't know each other much as we got married on his first trip to Jamaica.Can i get an annulment?

Dear Odeanisia,

Thank you for writing, and am afraid to say that you are not able to get an annulment, as all marriages are registered at the Registrar in Spanish Town.

I do recommend however that you get in touch with Legal Aid or contact the Supreme Court in Kingston for advise on how to proceed with a Divorce. I do not have any information on how to do so, but once a marriage was officially performed by a Marriage Officer, and you have signed these three white marriage certificates on your wedding day, your marriage has been registered.

I also do recommend you get in touch with whom assisted you with the wedding, and ask questions on how to proceed.

I am sorry for the situation you are in, and do remain at your disposition should there be anything at all I may be able to assist you further with,

Isabelle Stewart

Originally from France, I moved to Jamaica 20 years ago, and am an independent Island Wedding Planner, in the Negril area. Knowing how to deal with the Legal Documents involved in all aspects of Weddings/Marriages, I also specialize in searching for Marriage Certificates that have been lost or need to be replaced as well as obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates. I am also able to help those who need to deal with the Legalization of Marriage for citizens of Spain, Germany, Italy, Russia, Poland, Switzerland, and Mexico, and more non-english speaking countries. I would love to be of assistance and can be reached via this site or by email at

Having been a Wedding Planner for over 15 years, I can answer a lot of questions, and have been very successful obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates for Individuals and Professionals.

A-Level, Major in English, French (France Educational Credentials)