Jamaica/Obtaining a Jamaican marriage certificate

Question
Hello Isabelle,

I will be getting married at a resort in Jamaica in about 4 weeks. I understand that the certificate we receive after the ceremony is not our marriage certificate. How do I go about obtaining my marriage certificate once I am back home. Is it up to the resort to arrange this? It has been very difficult getting answers from the resort and I have now learned that the resort will be closing down about a month after our wedding,so there will be no one to contact after the closing.
Any information you could give me would be helpful.

Thank you,

Nancy

Answer
Dear Nancy,

Thank you so much for writing and wish to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding !!

May I ask which resort you will be planning on staying at ?

If the wedding planner at the Resort is assisting you with planning your wedding and applying for your Marriage License, most probably, your wedding planner will proceed with registering your Marriage at our Registrar in Spanish Town and obtain two Certified Marriage Certificates for you, and which they will be responsible to mail to you.

However the process in obtaining Certificates can take from 3 weeks to a little bit longer and do recommend you get in touch with your Wedding Planner. Should you tell me which resort it is, I will be more than happy to place a call for you.

Please do let me know if this would help, and wish you to have a safe evening,

Isabelle  

Jamaica

Isabelle Stewart