Jamaica/legality of marrige

Question
is it legal for a Spanish priest to conduct a marriage ceremony in
Jamaica or should a Jamaican priest also preside?

Answer
Good morning Valerie,

Thank you for your kind email, and may I say that a Jamaican Licensed Marriage Officer needs to be involved in your Ceremony as he is generally the one who applies for your Marriage License and Marriage Certificates (at times wedding planners do too). So he will conduct the Ceremony. However, another priest may be involved by participating, but only our Licensed Marriage Officers can conduct legal Wedding Ceremonies.

So best to talk to your Jamaican Marriage Officer, ask him if the fees he will be charging you do also include the application of the Marriage License and two Certified Marriage Certificates, and also ask him if another priest can participate and how he will combine his involvement within his own ceremony and script.

Also ask him if he will be mailing you the Marriage Certificates.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me and wish you to have a safe new day,

Isabelle
weddingsbyisabelle@gmail.com

Jamaica

Isabelle Stewart