Jamaica/Marriage Licence vs Certified Copy of Marriage Register

Question
My wife and I are Canadian and got married in Jamaica. We want a divorce but not sure the documents we have qualify. We have a "Minster's Licence" and "Certified Copy of Marriage Register". Is it enough? Not sure if this applies as a Marriage Certificate or if we never got all the documentation we required to be legally married back in 1991. One web site, US Department of State / Reciprocity Schedule / Jamaica, states that the official name for a marriage certificate is Marriage Regster and I have that. Can you verify this?

Thanks ahead!

Answer
Dear Shane,

Thank you for your kind email, and may I say how sorry I am.

Now, when you got married, you should have taken home with you a white certificate, which was 1 of the 3 you must have signed on the Wedding Day.

Following the wedding a few weeks later, you must have received two Certified Marriage Certificates in the mail, which have a seal. Should you have at least one of these, you should be Okay, as it is a legal document.

I however do not know the Divorce Laws in your State, but you should verify with your local authorities what legal document (s) that are required.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any further information, and wish you to have a safe evening,

Isabelle  

Jamaica

Isabelle Stewart