Jamaica/Marriage Licence vs Certified Copy of Marriage Register

My wife and I are Canadian and got married in Jamaica. We want a divorce but not sure the documents we have qualify. We have a "Minster's Licence" and "Certified Copy of Marriage Register". Is it enough? Not sure if this applies as a Marriage Certificate or if we never got all the documentation we required to be legally married back in 1991. One web site, US Department of State / Reciprocity Schedule / Jamaica, states that the official name for a marriage certificate is Marriage Regster and I have that. Can you verify this?

Thanks ahead!

Dear Shane,

Thank you for your kind email, and may I say how sorry I am.

Now, when you got married, you should have taken home with you a white certificate, which was 1 of the 3 you must have signed on the Wedding Day.

Following the wedding a few weeks later, you must have received two Certified Marriage Certificates in the mail, which have a seal. Should you have at least one of these, you should be Okay, as it is a legal document.

I however do not know the Divorce Laws in your State, but you should verify with your local authorities what legal document (s) that are required.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any further information, and wish you to have a safe evening,

Isabelle Stewart

Originally from France, I moved to Jamaica 20 years ago, and am an independent Island Wedding Planner, in the Negril area. Knowing how to deal with the Legal Documents involved in all aspects of Weddings/Marriages, I also specialize in searching for Marriage Certificates that have been lost or need to be replaced as well as obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates. I am also able to help those who need to deal with the Legalization of Marriage for citizens of Spain, Germany, Italy, Russia, Poland, Switzerland, and Mexico, and more non-english speaking countries. I would love to be of assistance and can be reached via this site or by email at

Having been a Wedding Planner for over 15 years, I can answer a lot of questions, and have been very successful obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates for Individuals and Professionals.

A-Level, Major in English, French (France Educational Credentials)