I am a Jamaican born and a Canadian citizen. I got married in 2011 in Kingston Jamaica. My wife and I never lived together, she never joined me in Canada. We both decide to get a divorce for personal reason. She told me she filled and got the divorce. However we are not on good term so she refuse to inform me if the divorce was final, or send me copy of the divorce certificate. I am engage  to be married again. I would like to know if the divorce is final, how to get a copy of the certificate if the said divorce was final how to I find out if I am divorced, or obtain a copy of the divorce certificate.

Dear BJ,

Thank you so much for writing, and do understand your situation.
However unsure where the divorce took place, I wouldn't want to mislead you.

At this time, I recommend you contact the Supreme Court in Kingston for advise or records, or the court house which was the nearest to you in Jamaica and ask for Legal Aid for advise.

Should the divorce be final, there will be records, yet I do not know the Jamaican Divorce Laws to guide you accurately.

I do hope this small information is useful, and do wish you the very best in your search,

Isabelle Stewart

Originally from France, I moved to Jamaica 20 years ago, and am an independent Island Wedding Planner, in the Negril area. Knowing how to deal with the Legal Documents involved in all aspects of Weddings/Marriages, I also specialize in searching for Marriage Certificates that have been lost or need to be replaced as well as obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates. I am also able to help those who need to deal with the Legalization of Marriage for citizens of Spain, Germany, Italy, Russia, Poland, Switzerland, and Mexico, and more non-english speaking countries. I would love to be of assistance and can be reached via this site or by email at

Having been a Wedding Planner for over 15 years, I can answer a lot of questions, and have been very successful obtaining new Jamaican Marriage Certificates for Individuals and Professionals.

A-Level, Major in English, French (France Educational Credentials)