"My wife and I will be arriving to Yokohama by cruise ship and would like to go to Kamakura for the day Here is our plan to include: Great Buddha, Engakugu Temple, kenchoji Temple, Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine; or do you have any suggestions? What is the best way to proceed here?  What a day pass help us on the train or buy individual tickets?"

Hi Richard,

I'm very sorry for the slow response.

Assuming you're just doing the one day, I think you're going to do fine just buying tickets, at least money-wise. Two rail passes will cost you around 56,000 yen, while the train from Yokohama to Kamakura is only 380 yen per person or so. Even if you train everywhere in between, I still don't think it will make the rail pass worth it.

So, that out of the way, the key will be to plot out a path through all of those things. Since all of those temples are within Kamakura, your best bet may be a train from Yokohama to Kamakura, and then depending on the order you choose, just taxi it from temple to temple. Because you're only paying for a single taxi instead of two train tickets each time, the money shouldn't be too bad. (Some are of these places are too far to reasonably walk, especially if you are looking to cram a lot in in a single day.) Also, by going taxi you avoid having to figure out all the trains and the timing thereof when you have a busy schedule.

Also, if you like art, Kamakura has a very nice museum of modern art, and there's a cool little cafe inside called Café Rencon with a very nice view. Right near Tsurugaoka Hachimangu I think.

I hope this helped, even if late! Let me know if you need anything else!

Steve Battisti

I`m always willing to give help, or at least my opinions on things related to Japan. I think I'm especially strong at helping out non-native Japanese speakers with the language. Also, helping others understand the culture, such as U.S. businessmen who have to do business with Japanese. I'm not doing translations right now, unless it's just a phrase or a word. More of a language and general Japanese culture guy than a travel/history expert.

PLEASE NOTE: I cannot answer questions about the following:

• Pottery or art object - I strongly recommend you take these to an antique specialist
  • Finding people - I can't answer these. I just have no way of knowing if the person you're looking for WANTS to be found, and I'm just not willing to risk it. I recommend you contact a private investigator if you desperately need to find someone.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

10+ years of studying Japan and Japanese language. I lived there for 5 years, one as a student, four as a businessman. Most importantly, I lived there because I wanted to live there, not because someone sent me there!

BA in Japanese