My sponsor will go back to there country but i still have my visa, if they give me a release paper thus my stay here will be illegal?

Hi RJ, thanks for the question.

This is actually a pretty simple matter.  If the Japanese government has granted you a visa, you are allowed to stay until that visa expires.  For example, if you have a three year spouse visa and get divorced after one year, you can still stay in Japan for the remaining two years.  If you have a one year work visa and quit the company after six months, you've still got six months as a legal resident to find a new job!

The only way your stay can become illegal is if your visa is revoked.  That almost never happens unless you have committed a crime or there are other really serious circumstances.

In most cases, you can stay until the end of your visa... or find a way to get a change of status (such as a new job or going to school) that will allow you to extend.

Let me know if you have any more questions!



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I can answer questions about daily life in Japan, modern Japanese culture, Japanese language including conversational Japanese, reading and writing, basic immigration law, family register issues, and general information about living, working, and raising a family in Japan. I can't answer questions about Japanese history except as it relates to modern lifestyles, criminal law in Japan, or specific questions about anime, manga, and other aspects of pop culture except as they relate to an overall understanding of Japanese culture. I cannot help you find your long-lost or estranged family members. Please contact a professional private investigator for people searches. Thank you.


I have a BA in Japanese and International Relations, and have lived in Japan continuously for the past seven years. I rarely use English in my daily life anymore and have managed to do a decent job of integrating into my Japanese community. I own a home and have two children in Japan, have personally held student, working, and spouse visas and am currently in the process of applying for Japanese citizenship. I feel that I am able to answer a wide variety of questions based on my education and personal experience.

BA in Japanese

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.