My other half of family is traditional Japanese and lives in Kyoto where I plan on leaving to after I finish school in the u.s. is Tokyo more modern than Kyoto?I also wanted to know to get to Kyoto from Tokyo I have to take a train or bus?I mostly knew english so my mother taught me how to cook Japanese foods,my father taught me the language while my two older brothers taught me house rules and Kyoto a huge traveling area?
         Thank you for your time wakabayashi_sama :)

Dear Porsher,

Anywhere you go in Japan has its share of a strong historical presence of temples, shrines, buildings or other structures.  Kyoto and Tokyo both have their share of the modern and the historical culture, but differ slightly in their own unique ways.  Kyoto is a huge tourist spot that attracts many travelers who mainly go to see the temples and the shrines.  If you can speak the language, you may find it quite interesting to explore the culture that your family has taught to you over the years.  This process of self-exploration and finding your roots will teach you a lot in life.

If you are a US citizen, then you may buy a JR Rail Pass to take advantage of the discounts of heavy train
use - it can become quite expensive.  The bus is cheaper than the bullet train, but you will end up paying more to pay for train tickets in the local area.  

Daniel S. Wakabayashi

I have lived and worked here for 18 years, mainly in the mgt. consulting field. I can coach you on matters concerning business, life or Japanese martial arts. I work for a risk management consulting firm and I have my own coaching company. If you have a missing person search or you would like to find your Japanese parent please don't hesitate to contact me. I will also do translation jobs. Though, it is not free...

Banking (Marketing), English As A Second Language teaching exp., Management Consulting, IT Sales, Risk Management Consulting

Nihon Kobudo Kyou Kai Nihon Kobudo Sinkou Kai

Martial arts videos

University of California Berkeley PENR, Bachelor of Science graduate in 1991

A few awards related to work

Multinational Corporations and Mid-sized firms in a wide range of industries