Japanese Culture/Face Masks in Japan

Question
I have recently found NHK World Television on my digital platform and have noticed that a large number of Japanese people wear facemasks (as seen in an operating room) even when there is no air pollution alert. Is there a reason for this or is it part of the Japanese culture of keeping things spotlessly clean?

Answer
Hi Harry,
Thanks for this question. This is indeed a typical sight in Japan. Indeed, in China you see a lot of these masks because of air pollution. In Japan, it's because of another reason. When people feel the onset of a flu, they do not want to make others run the risk of becoming infected by them. So they wear the masks to keep the germs to themselves.

Philip.

Japanese Culture

Philip Lafeber