Japanese Language/katana kanji tranlation

Question
kanji rubbing
kanji rubbing  
I have owned this Katana for a number of years and have a rubbing of the etchings on the tang, I am wondering if thier tranlation might give me some ideas as to it's age, maker origin etc.  greatfull if at least could get somewhere to start
regards Robert

Answer
I'm pretty sure the sword is Chinese in origin and not Japanese. The second character appears to be "prefecture/zone" (州) but the one preceding it is not one of the Japanese prefectures.

In addition, the final character appears to be 作, "made by", but the two characters preceding it do not appear to be any Japanese name I've ever heard of.  

Japanese Language

Michael DePaula