Japanese Language/katana kanji tranlation

kanji rubbing
kanji rubbing  
I have owned this Katana for a number of years and have a rubbing of the etchings on the tang, I am wondering if thier tranlation might give me some ideas as to it's age, maker origin etc.  greatfull if at least could get somewhere to start
regards Robert

I'm pretty sure the sword is Chinese in origin and not Japanese. The second character appears to be "prefecture/zone" (州) but the one preceding it is not one of the Japanese prefectures.

In addition, the final character appears to be 作, "made by", but the two characters preceding it do not appear to be any Japanese name I've ever heard of.  

Japanese Language

Michael DePaula

Anything pertaining to daily conversation, music, historical/modern forms of Japanese-character writing, computer/IT-related vocabulary, and aquatic sciences.

14 years of Japanese study with about 10 of those years in Japan.

Global Underwater Explorers, Okinawa Underwater Explorers, Okinawa Freethought Society

Degree in Music Performance, University of Southern California. 10+ years working the IT/computer programming world. 8 years of amateur translation assistance. 8 years in marine conservation/technical dive exploration in Japan.