Japanese Language/Needing to know what this painting reads

Full Painting
Full Painting  

Painting lettering
Painting lettering  

Was wondering what this painting that was given to me says. I asked someone who is in art dealing who couldn't tell me what the painting states, but they believe the language on the painting is Japanese. I could be wrong, but could you help me or let me know what it reads. I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Tiffany!

Sorry for the late response.

Yes, it is in fact Japanese.  However, a lot of the characters are archaic, by which I mean they are no longer in use, so I'm not sure, but basically I believe it says:

(in large characters): Ureshi Neko En
(in small letters): Mori Tanjoubi Kinen, 1986nen, 7 gatsu

This is not an accurate translation, but it basically comes to:
Happy Cat Garden/Park
In celebration of Mr. Mori's birthday, July 1986

Hope that helps!

Japanese Language

Any and all questions about the Japanese language. There are two ways to learn a language: academically (through books and textbooks and classes) and naturally (talking to people, watching TV, reading novels/comics, etc.). The first will teach you the "correct" way to speak the language, but only the second will really enable you to talk to the people as they talk. I learned naturally, so if you want to know how REAL Japanese people speak, ask me. If you just want to finish your homework or pass a test, I don't think I can be of much help to you.

Been living in Japan almost six years and have been studying Japanese that whole time. Have passed the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) at the 2nd level (and I intend to pass it at the first level this year). Have no problem with hiragana and katakana (basic character system) and am quite adept at kanji, as well. I use Japanese in day to day life so I shouldn't have much trouble with any topics concerning basics, fundamentals or conversation.

Mostly self-studied, but have spent about a total of four months in Japanese language schools.