Vishal wrote at 2013-03-23 08:20:01
Java is platform-independent language as Java programs can run on any platform. The Java compiled program can run on any operating system because when we compile a program we get a class file which contains byte code, which is specific to Java. This byte code is interpreted by JVM (interpreter) into machine understandable code. So, only the interpreter and a few native libraries need to be ported to get Java to run on a new computer or operating system.

Programs in Java are compiled into Java byte code. Then, they are interpreted by a special Java Interpreter for a specific platform. This Java interpreter is Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

The machine language for the JVM is called byte code.

JVM is an abstract machine designed to be implemented on top of existing processors.

Artemus Harper

I have a Masters in computer science. I can answer questions on core J2SE, swing and graphics. Please no questions about JSP or J2ME.

I have experience in Core Java, good background in Java swing/gui, some experience with JNI, Java reflection. Some experience in bio-informatics. Basics in c++ and c#

Washington State University

MS in Computer Science from Washington State University and a BS in Mathematics and Computer Science from Central Washington University.