Java/java

Question
What is Platform independence? Explain role of JVM.

Answer
In the case of Java, platform independence means you can run a Java program on any computer running any operating system with any hardware as long as it has a JVM (Java Virtual Machine). The JVM itself is not platform independent, but as long as you have one installed you can run any Java program on the machine it is installed on.

The JVM's role is to take programs in java bytecode and run them on the host operating system. It does this by translating java bytecode to actual instructions the machine can understand.

Java

Artemus Harper