Java/web apps

Question
QUESTION: I don't know if this is specifically a Java question. But I had an idea for a chat rooms app. last I knew running chat rooms takes up a lot of resources and can be expensive. Would you say that is still true?

ANSWER: This really depends on how many people are in the chat room. It can take up a lot of bandwidth, if you have a lot of people, but it shouldn't take up too much memory or hard disk space.

QUESTION: lets assume 100 chatrooms with no more than 15 people in each at a time. how much might that cost a day?

Answer
Hard to say, my estimate is maybe $1 a day. You can try it out and see how much you are using on a free aws instance. Simply get a standard IRC client, and install it there, then check the logs to see how much you are using, and if you are hitting the boundary.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

There are IRC clients written in Java (and open source), so you can modify them if you like.

Java

Artemus Harper