Java/web apps

QUESTION: I don't know if this is specifically a Java question. But I had an idea for a chat rooms app. last I knew running chat rooms takes up a lot of resources and can be expensive. Would you say that is still true?

ANSWER: This really depends on how many people are in the chat room. It can take up a lot of bandwidth, if you have a lot of people, but it shouldn't take up too much memory or hard disk space.

QUESTION: lets assume 100 chatrooms with no more than 15 people in each at a time. how much might that cost a day?

Hard to say, my estimate is maybe $1 a day. You can try it out and see how much you are using on a free aws instance. Simply get a standard IRC client, and install it there, then check the logs to see how much you are using, and if you are hitting the boundary.

There are IRC clients written in Java (and open source), so you can modify them if you like.

Artemus Harper

I have a Masters in computer science. I can answer questions on core J2SE, swing and graphics. Please no questions about JSP or J2ME.

I have experience in Core Java, good background in Java swing/gui, some experience with JNI, Java reflection. Some experience in bio-informatics. Basics in c++ and c#

Washington State University

MS in Computer Science from Washington State University and a BS in Mathematics and Computer Science from Central Washington University.