Jazz/history of jazz

Hi. I am doing a research paper on the history of jazz. More like, the origins/ creations of it. I wanted to do the history of Jazz in America. Would the origins of jazz coincide with that? (Are the origins of Jazz from America?)

Hello Ashley and thank you for contacting me through

Jazz is a musical style that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in black communities in the Southern United States. It was born out of a mix of African and European music traditions, but developed as a direct result of the black experience in America.  There is a lot of information written about the origins of Jazz music at various internet resources.

Here are a couple helpful links:

Thanks for the interest,

D C DowDell
Professor of Music
A Passion for Jazz!
studio: (619) 855-2069

Follow us on Twitter:

Subscribe to our videos:

D C DowDell

D C DowDell will answer questions about Jazz improvisation, composition, chord voicing, scales and modes, practice techniques and ear training. Professor DowDell also enjoys discussions on Jazz musicology and the evolution of style.

D C DowDell is a professional Jazz pianist/composer who currently teaches online Jazz studies at A Passion for Jazz!. Professor DowDell has been teaching music for over 30 years at 2 major universities, several community colleges as well as accepting students for private study.

American Federation of Musicians
National Music Teachers Association
International Association of Jazz Educators

Bachelors of Music Education from UCLA
Masters of Music Composition from UNT