Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus

Question
QUESTION: Is JW's calling Jesus a false god?

Just like Satan who is a false god.

ANSWER: This is a great question, and I am familiar with this argument.  It all comes down to perspective on the word "god".  Does this term necessarily imply "Deity"?  Jehovah's Witnesses and mainstream Christians disagree on this question when applied to Jesus.

Here is why.  Most of this discussion revolves around John 1:1 and John 17:3. A Jehovah's Witness does not view the word "god" as any reference to "Deity".  In the Bible, men, angels, Moses, and even Satan are called "gods".  Obviously, neither group would classify any of these beings as "Deity".  Therefore when the New World Translation says in John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god", there is no pressure for them to push the idea of deity onto Jesus (the Word).  John 17:3 states, "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."  So, to Jehovah's Witnesses, Jesus himself labels the Father as the only true God without attributing any deity to himself.

When a trinitarian hears the word "God", the idea of "Deity" is understood.  John 1:1 in most translations says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God (Deity), and the Word was God (Deity)."  So trinitarians see this as a key verse stating the "Deity" of God (the Father) and the Word (Jesus).  With the assumption that Christ is Deity, many other verses throughout the Bible make sense from the trinitarian perspective.  Consider ideas such as "I and the Father are one", "I AM", comparisons of the "first and the last" and "Alpha and Omega", fellowshipping with the Father and the Son, honoring the Father by serving Christ.  These make sense together when viewed as the Father and Son being "Deity" and yet there is still one God as the Bible clearly states.

So, striking up this debate with a Jehovah's Witness simply doesn't work because they do not necessarily view the word "god" as "Deity".  As Jesus can only do the will of the Father, he must be true.  Both sides will agree on that.  Satan is the father of lies and all that is against God, so he is clearly false.  The crux of the debate comes down to the underlying assumption of whether "god" means "Deity", on which the two sides will forever disagree with regard to Christ.

So, if I were to answer your question, I would say no because they genuinely do not think they are calling Jesus a false god.  In reality, they simply have not developed a relationship with Christ and therefore do not really understand who He really is.  I have known many current and former Jehovah's Witnesses who have broken the mold and come to rely on Jesus Christ.  It is only now that they see Him as their Savior and Lord and His true relationship with the Father.

Please feel free to follow up if needed,

QUESTION: So you saying Jesus is false god! IS this true!

So you saying Jesus is pagan god! Is this true!

The many God of JW's

www.letusreason.org/JW31.htm

Is Satan false god? Yes or no

ANSWER: I believe in the Deity of Jesus Christ.  The intention of my original answer was to show you that there are two vastly different ways of thinking on this matter, and you will get different answers depending on who you ask.  The link you gave me presents a good argument, one that I made for a very long time with JW's.  It doesn't, however, try to truly comprehend what is going on in the mind of a JW, and I have found it to be a fruitless debate since they simply don't see the word "god" in the same way.

In Corinthians 4:4, Satan is called the "god of this world".  This does not mean that Satan is deity or that he has ultimate authority.  He is not a god in the same sense that Jesus is God.  I hope I was able to clear that up better for you.

QUESTION: Is Jesus true God or false god? Pick one!

Answer
As a trinitarian, I believe that God is revealed in three co-equal persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, all of whom are true and God.  I apologize if my stance on that subject was not clear in my previous response.  I understood your initial question to be related to how JW's and Christians would answer, and did not realize you were asking me about my personal belief system.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Richard