Jehovah`s Witness/1935

Question
QUESTION: Hi Brenda,
  I read with interest your reply to the questioner about 1935.  Forgive me if I missed it, but I don't see in your response how 1935 was chosen.  What exactly occurred in 1935 for that date to be a transition year?

Thanks,
Adam

ANSWER: Jesus foretold that there would be a gathering of others besides the “chosen ones” of Matthew 24:31 during this “conclusion of the system of things.” Such a gathering in of those doers of good to the “chosen ones” began in the spring of 1935. How do we know?-

In that year (1935) the correct identity of the great crowd was made known to God’s anointed servants on earth.—Luke 22:28-30; Rev. 4:4; 7:9.

Jesus became king in 1914; his first assignment cleansed the heavens of all vestiges of opposition to godly rule. (Revelation 12:10, 12.)

Then he turned his attention to the gathering of the remaining prospective members of his Kingdom government so as to complete the number of 144,000.

By the mid-1930’s, that task was evidently well along and many of THOSE RESPONDING TO THE PREACHING WORK did not have the desire to go to heaven.

The spirit was not bearing witness with them that they were sons of God. (Romans 8:16.) as it had done previous to 1935.

Rather, they identified themselves with the “other sheep,” who have the hope of living forever on a paradise earth. (John 10:16)

Almost all who were baptized after 1935 felt that they had the earthly hope.

Hence, after 1935 the thrust of the preaching work turned to the gathering of “a great crowd,” those whom the apostle John saw in vision and who would survive “the great tribulation.”—Rev. 7:9, 10, 14.

all the best
Brenda
jw.org

QUESTION: Hi Brenda,
   Thank you for your response.  I guess my issue is that I see a number of holes in this logic.  

You said, "In that year (1935) the correct identity of the great crowd was made known to God’s anointed servants on earth. — Luke 22:28-30; Rev. 4:4; 7:9"

You also said, "By the mid-1930’s, that task was evidently well along and many of THOSE RESPONDING TO THE PREACHING WORK did not have the desire to go to heaven."

Can you please provide the evidence that people felt that way prior to Judge Rutherford telling them to feel that way?  I have found only evidence that shows that all Jehovah's Witnesses had the heavenly hope prior to Rutherford's announcement at the Washington Convention in May 1935.  Please see quotes below.

At the “1935 convention in Washington, D.C.” the leaders of the Watchtower publicly proclaimed to the Jonadab class they were to inherit an earthly paradise as their eternal reward (Jehovah's Witnesses In The Divine Purpose, p. 140).

“At the end of May of that year a five-day convention of Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses was in session... the president of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society discussed the subject of 'the great multitude, 'spoken of in Revelation 7.9-17, Authorized Version. He made it clear that the 'multitude' was no spiritual or spirit begotten class, would not attain the angelic nature in heaven so as to assist the 144,000 joint heirs with Christ. It was a distinctly an earthly class with hope of endless perfect human life in the earthly paradise under Christ's kingdom” (Holy Spirit, 1976, p. 156)

Based on the evidence I have seen, this announcement did not come as a response to the spirit not bearing witness with them that they were sons of God, but rather it was in response to the fact that the number of Jehovah's Witnesses would soon surpass 144,000.

Have you considered from whom Rutherford received this new light?  It was not from the Jehovah's spirit for Rutherford taught that in 1918 "the holy spirit as an advocate or paraclete ceased to function in behalf of the consecrated" (Preservation, p. 51; The Watchtower, June 1, 1931, p. 167).

Your response above carries a lot of assumptions that make a belief in the doors to heaven being closed in 1935 very implausible.  It rings too close to Matthew 23:13, "“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to."

I still have the love of Christ for you even though we disagree on this one,

Adam

Answer
"CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE THE EVIDENCE THAT PEOPLE FELT THAT WAY PRIOR TO JUDGE RUTHERFORD TELLING THEM TO FEEL THAT WAY?"

People were not “told” to feel a certain way; the evidence was that fewer & fewer were saying they had a heavenly hope BEFORE the convention in 1935, as you can see from the quote of 1932

I quote ---

“The Watchtower of August 1, 1932, explained: “Jehonadab represented or foreshadowed that class of people now on the earth . . . [who] are out of harmony with Satan’s organization, who take their stand on the side of righteousness, and are the ones whom the Lord will preserve during the time of Armageddon, take them through that trouble, and give them everlasting life on the EARTH. These constitute the ‘sheep’ class that favor God’s anointed people, because they know that the anointed of the Lord are doing the Lord’s work.” Those manifesting such a spirit were invited to have a share in taking the Kingdom message to others just as the anointed were doing.—Rev. 22:17.

There were some (though relatively few at that time) associating with Jehovah’s Witnesses who realized that the spirit of God had NOT engendered in them the hope of heavenly life.

When announcement was made of arrangements for Jehovah’s Witnesses to hold a convention in Washington, D.C., from May 30 to June 3, 1935, The Watchtower said: “Heretofore not many Jonadabs have had the privilege of attending a convention, and the convention at Washington may be a real comfort and benefit to them.” That certainly proved true.”

At that convention special attention was given to Revelation 7:9, 10, which reads: “After these things I saw, and, look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. And they keep on crying with a loud voice, saying: ‘Salvation we owe to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb.’” Who make up this great crowd, or “great multitude”?—KJ.

AT THE “1935 CONVENTION IN WASHINGTON, D.C.” THE LEADERS OF THE WATCHTOWER PUBLICLY PROCLAIMED TO THE JONADAB CLASS THEY WERE TO INHERIT AN EARTHLY PARADISE AS THEIR ETERNAL REWARD (JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES IN THE DIVINE PURPOSE, P. 140).

“In 1932 it was explained that Jehonadab (Jonadab), King Jehu’s associate, prefigured a class of persons who would enjoy everlasting life on earth. (2 Ki. 10:15-28)  

The Jonadabs, as they came to be known, counted it a privilege to be associated with Jehovah’s anointed servants and to have some share with them in advertising the Kingdom. But at that time, there was no special effort to gather and organize these individuals with an earthly hope.

Real encouragement was given to the Jonadabs in The Watchtower of August 15, 1934. The article “His Kindness” stated: “Should a Jonadab consecrate himself to the Lord and be baptized? Answer: Most assuredly it is proper for a Jonadab to consecrate himself to do the will of God. No one will ever get life without doing that. Water immersion is merely a symbol of having made a consecration [or, as we would now say, dedication] to do God’s will, and that would not be out of order.” The Jonadabs were thrilled!

The following spring, several issues of The Watchtower, beginning with the April 1, 1935, issue, carried this announcement: “Again The Watchtower reminds its readers that a convention of Jehovah’s witnesses and Jonadabs will be held at Washington, D.C., beginning May 30 and ending June 3, 1935.” The Jonadabs eagerly awaited the convention.

So Brother “Rutherford” didn’t “tell” these ones what to feel, they came along knowing they didn’t have a heavenly hope. How could he tell interested ones how to feel?  I understand your reasoning he could stand & tell witnesses, but these folk werent witnesses.

THIS ANNOUNCEMENT CAME IN RESPONSE TO THE FACT THAT THE NUMBER OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES WOULD SOON SURPASS 144,000.

:¬) Let me explain how that is not the case; JW had/have no idea how many are already in heaven with Jesus, & we have no way of knowing at present. We know the first members of the 144,000 were the apostles & we know how many are on earth at present, but we don’t know how many went to heaven in the years between the two.

We know the gathering of these ones was slowing down, when many of those responding to the preaching work did not have the desire to go to heaven.

Remember these ones were NOT Witnesses were talking about, they were folk JW preached to, if anything JW would be preaching primarily a heavenly hope to these ones, yet these ones said “they felt no desire to go to heaven”. JW didn’t tell them to feel one way or the other.

DOORS TO HEAVEN BEING CLOSED IN 1935 IS VERY IMPLAUSIBLE

Firstly; as I said there are still anointed ones coming in today, the door is not closed, it just became evident during those years that it was time to turn attention to the “great crowd” when more & more interested ones were saying, they didn’t entertain a heavenly hope.

all the best Adam
Brenda
jw.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin