Jehovah`s Witness/general question

Question
In Lk 4:12, the NWT translates "kyrios" (Gr-lord) as "Jehovah", which makes the verse read "... 'You shall not put Jehovah your God to the test.'" See Gr-Engl Interlinear. Why is kyrios translated as "Jehovah" in this verse? Was the devil, in Lk 4:9-11, putting Jehovah to the test or JESUS to the test?

Answer
LUKE 4:9-12, DEVIL PUT JEHOVAH OR JESUS TO THE TEST?

” 8 In reply JESUS said to him (the devil): “It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

9 Now he (the devil) led him (JESUS) into Jerusalem and stationed him upon the battlement of the temple and said to him: “If you are a SON OF GOD, hurl yourself down from here;

10 for it is written,(quoting psalms 91;11) ‘He (Jehovah) will give his angels a charge concerning you, to preserve you (Jesus),’

11 and, ‘They (angels) will carry you on their hands, that you (jesus) may at no time strike your foot against a stone.’”

12 In answer Jesus said to him (devil):  “It is said (quoting from Deut 6; 16), ‘You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.’”

The Devil challenged JESUS to leap off the temple wall so that God’s angels would rescue him just like Psalms says. But JESUS WAS NOT TEMPTED to make such a spectacular display. Quoting from the Scriptures, Jesus told Satan that it was wrong to test Jehovah by taking chances with his life.

all the best
Brenda
jw.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin