Jehovah`s Witness/general topic

Question
In the NWT, every time the Greek word "proskuneo" is used in reference to God, it is translated as "worship" (Rev 5:14, 7:11, 11:16, 19:4, Jn 4:20, etc.). Every time "proskuneo" is used in reference to Jesus, it is translated as "obeisance" (Mt 14:33, 28:9, 28:17, Lk 24:52, Heb 1:6, etc.), even though it is the same word in the Greek (see Gr-Engl Interlinear). Especially compare the Greek word "prosekunhsan" used with reference to God in Rev 5:14, 7:11, 11:16, and 19:4 and used with reference to Christ in Mt 14:33, 28:9, and 28:17. What is the reason for this inconsistency? If the NWT was consistent in translating "proskuneo" as "worship", how would the verses above referring to Christ read

Answer
Hello David, and thanks for writing.  I am sorry for the delay.  Had to go out of town over the week-end, and got a little bit behind.

You make an excellent point, when you write...

"In the NWT, every time the Greek word "proskuneo" is used in reference to God, it is translated as "worship" (Rev 5:14, 7:11, 11:16, 19:4, Jn 4:20, etc.). Every time "proskuneo" is used in reference to Jesus, it is translated as "obeisance" (Mt 14:33, 28:9, 28:17, Lk 24:52, Heb 1:6, etc.), even though it is the same word in the Greek (see Gr-Engl Interlinear)."

The simple answer to your statement, is this...The JWs do not believe that Jesus Christ is to be worshipped, so because of their belief, they are willing to arbitrarily use one meaning of the word when applied to Christ, and use another when applied to the God the Father.  I also think they would be hard pressed to to deny that worshipping is going to Christ AND the Father in Rev. 5:14, in light of the preceeding verse.

But it is interesting that the JWs USED TO teach that Jesus was worshipped, and was worthy of worship.  But since that teaching is no more, then the translation of the word "proskuneo" in the Bible must change, as well.

Let me give you an example of how the Scriptures can change to fit WT doctrine.  I have in my possession, an older version of the NWT.  In the NWT, in Hebrews 1:6, we read....

"But when he again brings his Firstborn into the inhabited earth, he says: ďAnd let all Godís angels do obeisance to him.Ē

HOWEVER....

In the older version of the NWT that I have, it says this....

"But when he again brings his Firstborn into the inhabited earth, he says: ďAnd let all Godís angels WORSHIP him.Ē

However, if you don't believe that Jesus is supposed to be worshipped, you can't very well have Jehovah telling all the angels in heaven to commit such an atrosity, can you?  So, the word was changed in later editions of the NWT, to read..."do obeisance"

Now, to be fair, the word "proskuneo" CAN mean a respectful bowing, but normally means worship.  And it is CLEAR that Jesus Christ receives worship on numerous occasions, and receives it rightfully so.  It is really hard to read Hebrews chapter 1, where Jesus is called "God", referred to as the Creator of heaven and earth, and clearly contrasted with the angels, and convince onesself that Jehovah is saying..."By the way, I want all you angels to give Him a respectul bow."  Uh no, He was commanding Christ to be worshipped by ALL the angels of Heaven, which would include Michael the Archangel, as well.

So the short answer to your question....The reason for the inconsistency, is the WT teaching that Christ is not to be worshipped, after teaching for years that He should be.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland