Jehovah`s Witness/God's personal name

Hi Brenda,
Is it important to call God by His name? Does God hear our prayers if we simply refer to Him as God? Is there examples in the Bible that tells us we should refer to God as Jehovah?
 Thank you Brenda.

jerry from Spokane

Do you have a close relationship with anyone whose personal name you do not know? For people to whom God is nameless he is often merely an impersonal force, not a real person, not someone that they know and love and to whom they can speak from the heart in prayer. If they do pray, their prayers are merely a ritual, a formalistic repetition of memorized expressions.

True Christians have a commission from Jesus Christ to make disciples of people of all nations. When teaching these people, how would it be possible to identify the true God as different from the false gods of the nations? Only by using His personal name, as the Bible itself does.—Matt. 28:19, 20; 1 Cor. 8:5, 6.

Ex. 3:15: “God said . . . to Moses: ‘This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, “Jehovah the God of your forefathers . . . has sent me to you.” This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.’”

Isa. 12:4: “Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high.”

Ezek. 38:17, 23: “This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said, ‘ . . . And I shall certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself known before the eyes of many nations; and they will have to know that I am Jehovah.’”

Mal. 3:16: “Those in fear of Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance began to be written up before him for those in fear of Jehovah and for those thinking upon his name.”

John 17:26: “[Jesus prayed to his Father:] I have made your name known to them [his followers] and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

Acts 15; 14 “Sym′eon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.”

Yes, Jehovah is on the look out for right-hearted ones, if someone prays to him & God sees they have a good heart, he hears their prayers & will direct his people to that person so they can teach him/her God’s name.

1 Pet. 3:12: “The eyes of Jehovah are upon the righteous ones, and his ears are toward their supplication; but the face of Jehovah is against those doing bad things.”

Ps. 65:2; Acts 10:34, 35: “O Hearer of prayer, even to you people of all flesh will come.” “God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.” (One’s nationality, the color of one’s skin, or one’s economic circumstances have no bearing on the matter. But the motivations of one’s heart and one’s way of life do.)

There are however people who pray to Jehovah calling him GOD or LORD & he doesn’t listen/answer their prayers, here is why—

Prov. 28:9: “He that is turning his ear away from hearing the law [of God]—even his prayer is something detestable.”

Mic. 3:4: “At that time they will call to Jehovah for aid, but he will not answer them. And he will conceal his face from them in that time, according as they committed badness in their dealings.”

Jas. 4:3: “You do ask, and yet you do not receive, because you are asking for a wrong purpose, that you may expend it upon your cravings for sensual pleasure.”

Isa. 42:8, Dy; Matt. 4:10, JB: “I, the Lord [“Yahweh,” JB; “Jehovah,” NW]: this is my name. I will not give my glory to another, nor my praise to graven things.” (Prayer is a form of worship. If we pray before graven things, or images, is that going to please God?)

There are however proper matters about which to pray

Matt. 6:9-13: “You must pray, then, this way: ‘[1] Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. [2] Let your kingdom come. [3] Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth. [4] Give us today our bread for this day; and [5] forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And [6] do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the wicked one.’” (Notice that God’s name and purpose should be given priority.)

Ps. 25:4, 5: “Make me know your own ways, O Jehovah; teach me your own paths. Make me walk in your truth and teach me, for you are my God of salvation.”

Too many to list :¬) the Bible contains God’s personal name nearly 7,000 times. Here are a few examples—

Genesis 32;9  “After that Jacob said: “O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, O Jehovah, you who are saying to me, ‘Return to your land and to your relatives and I will deal well with you..”

1 Samuel 1;9,10 “ Hannah got up after they had eaten in Shi′loh and after the drinking…..And she was bitter of soul, and she began to pray to Jehovah and to weep greatly”

Matthew 21; 9 “As for the crowds, those going ahead of him (Jesus)…..Blessed is he that comes in Jehovah’s name”

James 5;13,14  “Is there anyone suffering evil among you? Let him carry on prayer. …..Is there anyone sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah”
Psalms 83; 18 “That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth”.

Jesus used God’s name—

“I (Jesus) have made your (God’s) name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”  John 17; 26

On commissioning Moses, Jehovah emphasized the importance of the divine name. When asked about his name, Jehovah told Moses: “I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be.”  (Jehovah means he causes to become) Moses was to tell the sons of Israel: “Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.”

Jehovah added: “This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Exodus 3:13-15)

“For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”  (Romans 10; 13)

If you have further questions, please mark them “private” or else your post is seen by the public on the Internet. If you mark it "private" I will give you my email address so we can discuss it as much as you want :¬)

All the best  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin

I have been one of Jehovah`s Witneses now for over 30 years, in those years I have brought up 4 children, teaching each of them the bible.Being one of Jehovah`s Witnesses has helped me cope with my Epilepsy and bring up a daughter with learning difficulties.I have conducted bible studies with people from nearly every denomination i.e. Muslim. Having used the bible all these years to answer peoples questions, I feel I am qualified to give any answer regarding Jehovah`s Witnesses and the bible.

My experience has been one of attending bible lectures 5 times a week,taking part in these lectures in front of an audience and being with thousands of J.W. at conventions where I have seen the bible at work in peoples lives.It is truly a miracle when you see thousands of people meeting together and not one policeman needed, and not even a piece of litter in sight.It is like another world.

Nearly 40 years as a Witness, is my "education" bringing up 4 children, dealing with Epilepsy, bringing up a disabled daughter.