Jehovah`s Witness/Jehovah's will

What is Jehovah's will according to 1John5:14?
What is the meaning to it? To follow Jehovah's plan or to do what Jehovah asked us to do according to the bible.
Please show me examples of his will.

Hi Woo,

Thanks for your question.  Hope you like to read :-)

1 John 5:14 ďAnd this is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears usĒ

Simply put Godís Ďwillí is how He purposes things to be.  

Just like a person would have their last Will and Testament.  That Will is put in place so that the personís possessions and all that he owns are done as he wishes or purposes them to be.  If a person dies and does not have a Will he can not give directions on what he wants done with his belongings.  So letís say someone has a Will and in that Will he specifically says that if his Son wants to get a certain amount of money he will have to get married before he turns 30 years old and stay married.  Heíll get some upon the death of his Father, but the bulk once heís married.  If his daughter wants the house, she will have to actually live in it and not sell it, but keep it in the family.  Plus sheíll get some money as well, but the bulk once sheís living in the house.  If she tries to sell it at any time rather than passing it down within the family, it will be taken from her and given to the next of kin, and the same would go for that person.  So the only way that they will reap the rewards is if they abide by their fatherís will.  They have a copy of it, and it has to be read by the lawyer and explained by the lawyer upon his death.

Well letís say the son doesnít like those requirements and doesnít even really read the will about having to be married before 30, just skims through it, and tells his cousin to read it for him.   The son can choose to not abide by it, he can decide that he doesnít ever want to get married.  But if he doesnít get married and before he turns 30, he will not get the rest of the money.  Same goes for the daughter. Some people in the family are fine with that Will and some are not.  But it doesnít matter who is not ok with it because itís how the father set things to be.  If they chose not to follow it, or do what they want to say it says, they canít get mad when they do not receive the money, and if they didnít take the time to read the will carefully and want to say they didnít know, that wonít help if the time has passed and itís too late.

So the father passes, and the son gets the first part of the money, and he starts partying and spending and having a good time, goes traveling the world.  He doesnít even take care to really read what it says, and the cousin, he didnít really read it either.  The daughter calls the son and says, why are you doing this, you havenít even found a wife, how are you going to be married in time?  She asked did you read the will, he says yes, she says well then you know you have to be married before youÖ.and the son says, I have the will just like you do, and he hangs up and refuses to answer or listen to her.  He gets so involved in having fun that before he knows it, his 30th birthday has come and gone.  But shortly thereafter  the money has run out, so he wants to look for a wife, canít even find the will, so he calls the lawyer, but heís told itís too late!  He goes to his cousin and says, why didnít you tell me it had to be before I was 30?  I trusted you, didnít you read it? now I have nothing!  Later the sister says, I tried to tell you but you wouldnít listen to me and I tried to contact you, but you refused. And so it goesÖbut on the other hand, the sister, kept in contact with the lawyer to make sure she was doing everything as set forth, examined the Will along with the lawyer in case she didnít understand certain legal terms etc, and she abided by all that was in it.  And reaped the reward!

So we can say the Bible is like that Will that the father wrote and gave to his loved ones, but with conditions and requirements.  If we follow all that he says, weíll reap the benefits, if we choose not to follow them then we canít get mad if we do not reap the rewards.   If we think we can do things our way and still reap rewards, then be prepared for a rude awakening.   If a person just goes by what someone else tells them without examining the Bible for himself to see if what is being said is really true, then regardless of the excuses, he will not get the reward.  

The son is likened to Church goers, who just believe what the Reverend says, or whatís been handed down to them by family, and refuses to listens to us when we try to warn them.

The cousin is like the Church leaders, who say they are leading people to God but are really not.  

The Sister is likened to true worshippers of Jehovah, his Witnesses, who examine the Bible with the help of Godís Holy Spirit.

And the lawyer is likened to the men who take the lead among us, who is also guided by Holy Spirit to help guide us further in learning Bible truths.  

The father is likened to Jehovah, not that can die because he can't, but that he gave instructions for what was his, and since Jehovah created everything, then all belongs to him.

The first part of the money is likened to Jesus, because his dying is a gift for all his Fatherís loved ones, itís there waiting, but in order to reap the complete benefits of that gift, the ransom sacrifice, we have to abide by the Fatherís will.  

The bulk money is likened to everlasting life.  And that you will only attain it if you continued to abide by all that was put down in the will, along with the help that the Father provided in the lawyer.

So that means we have to take the time to find out what Godís will is, his purposes, his requirements, and then follow them as he set forth in the Bible, not according to what we ourselves think.  

If we live according to Godís requirements, then our prayers will be answered, if they are in accord with his will.

Matt 6:33 Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [other] things will be added to YOU.

So we wouldnít pray to God and expect him to answer about helping us win a game of Chess, just because there was a trophy to be won and it would make us super happy.  Because getting a trophy has nothing to do with the sanctification of Godís name, (Matt. 6:9) nothing to do with the furtherance of the Good News of Godís Kingdom being preached before the end comes (Matt. 24:14)

But we would want to pray to Jehovah to give us understanding and discernment, we could pray for help with preaching and overcoming shyness in order to preach, to endure different trials so that we can remain faithful, we can pray for more faith, all these things are according to his will. I use to hate to read and something long, forget it. But I prayed for help with that, to even crave reading his Word and our publications, and that prayer was answered, because I can't wait study now.

If we put Kingdom interests first, ahead of our jobs, recreation, even ourselves (let reason be inserted) if we are sick then we can't do things. And we find ourselves running out of food, we can pray for help, and he will help.  We will eat, we will have our needs met, if we put God first in our lives according to Matt 6:33, because he promised and he cannot lie (Titus 1:2)

The Bible shows us that Jehovah has commandments and requirements that must be followed if we are to be approved by him.  If he did not have any requirements at all and people could just do as they feel is best, then he would not have had the Bible written to begin with. (2 Tim 3:16, John 17:17)

The Bible helps us to see that we were made to look to him for guidance in all that we do.  (Prov. 3:5, 6, Jer. 10:23)

Godís will is not that he wants people to die, I see all too often on the News when someone has died, you hear people say, itís Godís will, who told them that?  

Letís see what God said, Letís read:

1 Tim. 2:4 whose will is that all sorts of men should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

Rom. 6:23 For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 17:3 This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ (also John 3:16)

We know that God doesnít approve of these things here, so if we do these things we wonít be doing his will:

1 Cor. 6:9, 10 What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit Godís kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men,10nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit Godís kingdom

Rev. 21:8 But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and fornicators and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. This means the second death.Ē

Acts 15:29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If YOU carefully keep yourselves from these things, YOU will prosper. Good health to YOU!Ē

We can find out what Godís will is by studying the Bible, from the Bible we learn Godís name, (Ps. 83:18) and that we should use it, (Rom. 10:13-15).  To please Jehovah, however, we need to do more than just obey his direct commands. Jehovah does not hem us in with laws governing every aspect of our daily life. Hence, in the course of each day, we may encounter many situations for which there are no specific Bible commands. In such cases, how can we know what will be pleasing to Jehovah? The Bible contains clear indications of Godís way of thinking. As we study the Bible, we learn what Jehovah loves and what he hates.  (Psalm 97:10; Proverbs 6:16-19)

As you study the Bible you will continue to learn more about God and what his will is:  

Prov. 1:5 A wise person will listen and take in more instruction, and a man of understanding is the one who acquires skillful direction

1 John 4:7, 8 Beloved ones, let us continue loving one another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been born from God and gains the knowledge of God.8He that does not love has not come to know God, because God is love.

Matt.22:36-40  Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?Ē37He said to him: ďĎYou must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.í38This is the greatest and first commandment.39The second, like it, is this, ĎYou must love your neighbor as yourself.í40On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.Ē

True worshipers,Ē Jesus said, ďwill worship the Father with spirit and truth.Ē (John 4:23)

Also this scripture helps us:

Col. 3:8-10 But now really put them all away from YOU, wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of YOUR mouth.9Do not be lying to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices,10and clothe yourselves with the new [personality], which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it

Satan and his followers have not only distorted Godís requirements, but profaned his mighty name, but Jehovah won't let that go on much longer, We read:

Ez. 36:23 And I shall certainly sanctify my great name, which was being profaned among the nations, which YOU profaned in the midst of them; and the nations will have to know that I am Jehovah,í is the utterance of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, Ďwhen I am sanctified among YOU before their eyes.

Godís will also include having faith that he is:

Heb. 11:6 Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please [him] well, for he that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.

James 1:5-8-So, if any one of YOU is lacking in wisdom, let him keep on asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching; and it will be given him.6But let him keep on asking in faith, not doubting at all, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven by the wind and blown about.7In fact, let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from Jehovah;8he is an indecisive man, unsteady in all his ways.

James 2:18-26 Nevertheless, a certain one will say: ďYou have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works.Ē19You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder.20But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive?21Was not Abraham our father declared righteous by works after he had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar?22You behold that [his] faith worked along with his works and by [his] works [his] faith was perfected,23and the scripture was fulfilled which says: ďAbraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,Ē and he came to be called ďJehovahís friend.Ē 24YOU see that a man is to be declared righteous by works, and not by faith alone.25In the same manner was not also Ra′hab the harlot declared righteous by works, after she had received the messengers hospitably and sent them out by another way?26Indeed, as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

The best examples of ones doing Godís will is in Hebrews chapter 11, hereís just a few:

Heb. 11:4-8 By faith Abel offered God a sacrifice of greater worth than Cain, through which [faith] he had witness borne to him that he was righteous, God bearing witness respecting his gifts; and through it he, although he died, yet speaks.

5By faith E′noch was transferred so as not to see death, and he was nowhere to be found because God had transferred him; for before his transference he had the witness that he had pleased God well.6Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please [him] well, for he that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.

7By faith Noah, after being given divine warning of things not yet beheld, showed godly fear and constructed an ark for the saving of his household; and through this [faith] he condemned the world, and he became an heir of the righteousness that is according to faith.

8By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed in going out into a place he was destined to receive as an inheritance; and he went out, although not knowing where he was going.9By faith he resided as an alien in the land of the promise as in a foreign land, and dwelt in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the very same promise.

We need to draw close to Jehovah through prayer, Bible reading and thinking on what we learn and apply it in our lives, and meeting attendance (Heb. 10:24, 25).

James 4:8, 10 Draw close to God, and he will draw close to YOU. Cleanse YOUR hands, YOU sinners, and purify YOUR hearts, YOU indecisive ones. .10Humble yourselves in the eyes of Jehovah, and he will exalt YOU.

Hope that helps,

Sister T

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: ďIsaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ĎThis people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)