Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus as God

QUESTION: Jesus is referred to as God both directly and indirectly in several verses in the bible. In the NWT(John 1:1) they call him "a" god. In other places he is called God.( Isaiah 9:6.) He is never called 'god of' like Moses or Satan. So if Jesus is a god, but not the true God, wouldn't that make him a false god? Also Jehovah says he was alone during the making of the earth and heavens.  How can this be when Jesus is mentioned several times as being the Creator. "Without my hands nothing is made that is,visible or invisible" Even Col. says by Him all things were made. John 1:1 says the word was with God. Also Jehovah said there were no others gods with him during creation..   
Look forward to hearing from you.

ANSWER: Hello mate

thanks for writing

We have no objections to Jesus being referred to as a god or mighty god or anything like that. Jehovah made him a god to others and over others.

Satan made himself a god , human's make god's and Jehovah make's gods. God's are purely "mighty one's" that is what the word god means.

These men where also god's appointed by Jehovah.

John 10:

34 "Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “YOU are gods"

So if Jesus is mighty then he is a god.

Jehovah made him a god over all others except himself

1 Cor 15:

27 "For [God] “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that it is with the exception of the one who subjected all things to him"

So Jesus being the second most important being in the universe can rightly be called "mighty god"

It doesn't make him a false god, what makes a false god is if one is worshipped falsely. The expression "true" and "false" god is PURELY based on worship.

Exodus 20:

3 "You must not have any other gods against my face"

Notice there are other god's but Jehovah say's you are not to worship any of them.Only him. That's why he is the ONLY true God.

John 17:

3 "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ"

Now with regard the other verses you mention, what you have to be careful of is not taking a verse out of context. Consider the subject and what the subject is talking about.

Many times in the Hebrew scriptures, Jehovah tells the Israelite's to look at him for deliverance for salvation.As they lived in a world surrounded by pagan God's. He makes number of points in regards to this. You have to be careful you don't just cram a random teaching about who was there during creation in the middle of a passage of scripture that has nothing to do with the subject, whatsoever.

Quite clearly Jesus helped his father in creation as the firstborn he helped his Father and he was delighted to do so.

Prov 8:

29 "when he decreed the foundations of the earth, 30 then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time, 31 being glad at the productive land of his earth"

So all things came through Jesus, just like a contractor works for a builder. Jehovah's the artichect, the builder, he supplies the materials(holy spirit) Jesus worked for his father.

Follow up if you need

Take Care.

QUESTION: Thank you for your polite and prompt response. You've answered some points, but opened some others.
I work with some Jehovah's witnesses and they can't or won't answer a lot
of my questions. Often their answers lead to more questions.  For
Instance, the part of being a god is to be worshipped. Makes sense
to me. I don't recall anyone in the Bible receiving worship,,
except that Jesus received worship and his Father commanded that the angels should worship him.
In the oringinal charter of the watchtower organization it states that one should worship both Jehovah God and the Son, Jesus Christ. This was later revised in 1999 I believe.   So I'm confused,  if the watchtower says we should     

Worship Jesus and the Bible says we should also, am I worshiping a false God?

ANSWER: You know it's the nature of the beast. Bible truths from any denomination lead to more and more questions there's enough verses in the Bible for that to be the case.

With regard Jesus being receiving worship, Jesus never received worship , what he received is proskyneo which is basically a show of respect. The same way in the Bible other's received respect.

Gen 23:

7 "Thereupon Abraham got up and (proskyneo)bowed down to the natives, to the sons of Heth"

Rev 3:

9 "look! I will make them come and do (proskyneo)obeisance before your feet and make them know I have loved you"

and many, many more!!

Jesus himself said the only one to worship was Jehovah he used these words "IT IS WRITTEN". Written only the Jewish God Jehovah, written in the mosaic law was to be worshipped.

Deut 6:

4 "Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah"

Deut 5:

7 "You must NEVER have any other gods against my face.........9  because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion"

See the word NEVER. Jesus confirms that.

Mark 12:

28 "Now one of the scribes that had come up and heard them disputing, knowing that he had answered them in a fine way, asked him: “Which commandment is first of all?” 29 Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah, 30 and you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength"

We have have understood this fact for a long, long, time certainly longer than 1999, that's for sure.

So we do not worship Jesus , Jesus is not to be worshipped if you are worshipping Jesus you are ATTEMPTING to turn him into a false God, however Jesus does not accept your worship he shuns it.

Follow up if you need

Take Care

QUESTION: We both seem to agree that Jehovah is the name of God, I just don't see any strong evidence that the name Jehovah belongs solely to the Father One would think that a clear link to Jehovah being the Father would be made. There are verses that talk about Jehovah that point to Jesus,"I am  the first and the last, the alpha and omega" ect...The word proskyneo is greek and is commonly translated as worship.  In the NWT it is even translated as worship in every instance except when referring to Jesus. Why weren't  the translaters consistent in the translation of the word proskyneo? They were imperfect humans right? As humans we have a bias and that bias could affect how we interpret things. Again in the watchtower charter they used the word worship when referring to Jesus,not obeisance. So it could be a little confusing right?  
Thanks again, I look forward to your insight.

It all boils down to this

You can believe what you like I'm not gonna try and force you into anything, but what I fail to understand about people in the realms of Christendom and all false religion is the fact that you have to just try and absolutely complicate everything and I really don't get that.

What is so hard to understand that God had a problem to sort out, he had questions to answer for the good of the entire universe and he used his first ever creation,his most loyal companion the most favoured of all his son's and his best friend to answer those questions and Jesus willingly went. What is so hard to understand about that?? You know it's so just so simple. Why make it hard for yourselves. I just don't get it!!

Ok look just logically speaking here's one point of many.

Satan said to God "No human will ever serve you faithfully till the end, I can get them all!!"

It was a challenge to Jehovah. So how does Jehovah coming to Earth to die possibly answer that challenge?? If it was the case Satan would jump on it straight away. He'd be saying things like "See I told you, you had to come yourself,because as I said no human could do it"

God coming to Earth proves Satan right,he would be proven right,it's that simple.

Imagine one school teacher challenges another one saying "the best pupil in your class couldn't beat the best pupil in my class at maths" and the other teacher say's "no way pal you're wrong" and then that teacher doesn't even send a pupil from his class he goes and does it himself and then say's "see I told you my pupil could beat yours, you where wrong" It would be ridiculous!!!!

But that's what this boils down too.

Jehovah is the father who sent Jesus.Jesus is the Christ or the anointed one of God , he's not God himself, it's a ridiculous concept on so many levels. It is purely ridiculous mate!!!

Let me show you some scriptures,these are plain scriptures.Nothing hard to understand at all.

Deut 6:

Mark 12:

29 "Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah OUR God is one Jehovah"

John 5:

30 "I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous, because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me"

1 Cor 8:

6 "there is actually to us one God THE FATHER"

2 Cor 1:

3 "Blessed be THE GOD AND THE FATHER of our Lord Jesus Christ"

OK this is just a few they're nice and simple verses.They mean what they say!!!

The problem with Christendom is they're too busy trying to form doctrine on implication on implied verses ,(like your first and last thing for example) there's no need to do that you confuse yourself and it's completely unnecessary.

No one's saying, that you can't read the bible and pick two or three possible alternatives to the same verse. But the verse has to harmonize with the rest of the scriptures and the correct interpretation ALWAYS does. You can't just ignore verses like they don't exist. Your life is on the line!!

So you talk about proskyneo as worship when it comes to Jesus, but it's plainly not. You talk about consistency, but it is translated consistently with the rest of the scriptures.

This is what Jesus said.

Matt 4:

10 "Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For IT IS WRITTEN, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service"

IT IS WRITTEN!! In the Hebrew scriptures for the Jews.The God of the Jews is the God to worship. They worship one God, just ONE Jehovah. Not a trinity in sight that was for the pagan nations.

So when you see proskyneo if it applies to humans like here.

Rev 3:

It's obeisance

If it's applied to Jesus like here

Luke 24:

2 "And they did (proskyneo) obeisance to him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy"

It's also obeisance.

Reason being because the bible say's so!!

Now maybe at one point we did believe it to be worship, but we don't anymore, we've studied and we've learnt. So it's not confusing, it's simple. What we used to believe holds to relevance to this discussion.

Take Care.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW

I have many years of experience serving Jehovah . I have known Jehovah a long time and I have known his organization . I have been privileged to see great progress not only in my own personal relationship with my God and Father but within his organization. I am an avid reader of the bible and have been gifted by my Father with the indescribable privilege of being allowed to understand his own word.

The truth is all about scripture and logic. The two go hand in hand . There is not one bible verse that cannot be understood within the realms of human reasoning. Not one!! Why would it?? The bible is God's message to his creation . His creation who he made to understand things in a specific way. God is not stupid or unwise as to leave as a message then allow us to guess what it means or who he is. 1 Tim 2:3This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth" Notice the expression "accurate knowledge".

The bible leaves signs of true christianity there are many. Jehovah's witnesses meet every single sign. One sign is the removal of false teachings that permeated the world soon after the apostles died. Jesus foretold this and he also foretold of the restoration of pure worship in the period known as the last days. The days we are currently living in. Jesus was a master of using illustrations he used an illustration to highlight this point Matt 13: "The Kingdom of the heavens may be likened to a man who sowed fine seed in his field. 25While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat and left. 26When the stalk sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds also appeared. 27So the slaves of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it have weeds?’ 28He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?’ 29He said, ‘No, for fear that while collecting the weeds, you uproot the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest season, I will tell the reapers: First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up; then gather the wheat into my storehouse" Why did he speak in illustrations? Matt 13:10So the disciples came and said to him: “Why do you speak to them by the use of illustrations?” 11In reply he said: “To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted" The kingdom of the heavens is full of sacred secrets that Jesus reveals only to his followers. This privilege is open to all who are really willing to submit to God and his Christ in action not just in words. These are the ones God is looking for. Are you really one?? If so I encourage you to let Jehovah's witnesses show you what the Bible really teaches.

False religion is disgusting to God and to his true worshippers it is likened in the Bible to a harlot Rev 17:"I will show you the judgment upon the great harlot who sits on many waters, 2with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, whereas those who inhabit the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication" Whereas the bride of Christ is likened to a virgin Rev 14: 4"These are the ones who did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins" These are both used as spiritual terms here and show the importance of pure and clean worship for God's people.