Jehovah`s Witness/Michael

Question
QUESTION: Brenda,

Please explain how Jesus is Michael the archangel so I can explain it to others. I would only feel confident in my explanation if I'm able to quote scripture, so please include scripture(s) I can use as reference.

Thank you.

M.E.

ANSWER: MICHAEL

(Mi′cha•el) [Who Is Like God?].

1. The only holy angel other than Gabriel named in the Bible, and the only one called “archangel.” (Jude 9)

2. In the tenth chapter of Daniel Michael is described as “one of the foremost princes”; he came to the aid of a lesser angel who was opposed by “the prince of the royal realm of Persia.” Michael was called “the prince of [Daniel’s] people,” “the great prince who is standing in behalf of the sons of [Daniel’s] people.” (Da 10:13, 20, 21; 12:1)

3. This points to Michael as the angel who led the Israelites through the wilderness. (Ex 23:20, 21, 23; 32:34; 33:2)

4. Lending support to this conclusion is the fact that “Michael the archangel had a difference with the Devil and was disputing about Moses’ body.”—Jude 9.

5. At 1 Thessalonians 4:16 the voice of the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ is described as being that of an archangel, suggesting that he is, in fact, himself the archangel.

6. If the designation “archangel” applied, not to Jesus Christ, but to other angels, then the reference to “an archangel’s voice” would not be appropriate. In that case it would be describing a voice of lesser authority than that of the Son of God.

7. Daniel recorded a prophecy reaching down to “the time of the end” (Da 11:40) and stated: “And during that time Michael will stand up, the great prince who is standing in behalf of the sons of [Daniel’s] people.” (Da 12:1)

Michael’s ‘standing up’ was to be associated with “a time of distress such as has not been made to occur since there came to be a nation until that time.”  In Daniel’s prophecy, ‘standing up’ frequently refers to the action of a king, either taking up his royal power or acting effectively in his capacity as king. (Da 11:2-4, 7, 16b, 20, 21)
This supports the conclusion that Michael is Jesus Christ, since Jesus is Jehovah’s appointed King, commissioned to destroy all the nations at Har–Magedon.—Re 11:15; 16:14-16.

8. The book of Revelation (12:7, 10, 12) specifically mentions Michael in connection with the establishment of God’s Kingdom and links this event with trouble for the earth: “And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled. And I heard a loud voice in heaven say: ‘Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down . . . On this account be glad, you heavens and you who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea.’”

9. Jesus Christ is later depicted as leading the heavenly armies in war against the nations of the earth. (Re 19:11-16) This would mean a period of distress for them, which would logically be included in the “time of distress” that is associated with Michael’s standing up. (Da 12:1) Since the Son of God is to fight the nations, it is only reasonable that he was the one who with his angels earlier battled against the superhuman dragon, Satan the Devil, and his angels.
In his prehuman existence Jesus was called “the Word.” (Joh 1:1) He also had the personal name Michael. By retaining the name Jesus after his resurrection (Ac 9:5), “the Word” shows that he is identical with the Son of God on earth. His resuming his heavenly name Michael and his title (or name) “The Word of God” (Re 19:13) ties him in with his prehuman existence.

10.The very name Michael, asking as it does, “Who Is Like God?” points to the fact that Jehovah God is without like, or equal, and that Michael his archangel is his great Champion or Vindicator.

all the best
Brenda
jw.org

QUESTION: Brenda, Thank you for your quick response.  I had already read all the scriptures mentioning Michael & saw no connection to Jesus. That's why I'm still pondering this subject.

How does Michael's name meaning "Who is like God?" show that Michael is Jesus?  It is a question, not a statement.  If it were a statement, it would come closer to indicating Michael is God than it would Michael is Jesus.

Yes, Jude 9 does says Michael is the archangel.  No more, no less.  It doesn't say he is Jesus.  Additionally, Daniel 10:13 says Michael is ONE of the foremost princes, implying there is more than one foremost prince.   You note John 1:1 in your point No. 9. "In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god." (NWT)  Jesus being the Word, doesn't this say Jesus was a god, not an angel?  And too, if Jehovah God is a jealous god, why would he create another god to share the heavens with Him?   Exodus 34:14 (NWT) "...because Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, he is a jealous God."

Additionally, Jude 9 speaks of Michael having a difference with the Devil.  Again, how does that indicate Michael is Jesus?

Regarding 1 Thess. 4:16.  If you apply the same principle of 'with an archangel's voice' to 'with God's trumpet', then Michael is both an archangel & God.  The word 'with' means 'as a companion of' or 'accompanying'... indicating two different entities.  One was accompanying another.  How can you be a companion of yourself or accompany yourself?    

The scriptures you site only speak of Michael's works... they don't say Michael is Jesus.  When you indicate something suggests or leads to the conclusion or is logical or reasonable, isn't that conjecture or supposition rather than scripture?   You say:  "He also had the personal name Michael" as if it were fact but do not give a scripture.

Adding to my confusion, I've read in a 1988 WTBS book titled "Revelation, Its Grand Climax at Hand" that Jesus is Abaddon or Apollyon.  The following is a taken from the chapter "The First Woe---The Locusts)"  It also identifies the locusts as Jehovah's Witnesses' John class.

Quoting from this WTBS book (page 148):

"They have over them a king, the angel of the abyss.  In Hebrew his name is Abaddon [meaning "Destruction"], but in Greek he has the name Apollyon [meaning "Destroyer"]'."  (Revelation 9:11)  As "angel of the abyss" and "Destroyer," Jesus had truly released a plaguing woe on Christendom.  But more is to follow!"

So trying to put all this together: In the beginning it was Michael who was in heaven with God. Then he came down to earth as Jesus.  After his death at age 33, he returned to heaven as Michael.  Then he came back again as Jesus (first resurrection). Then he becomes Michael again.  Than he becomes Satan... and finally reverts back to Jesus. I've lost track of the sequence of all this, so will you please sort it out for me?  At any rate, it would seem that Jesus is not only Michael, he is also Satan.  Then add to this the fact that some believe Jesus is God & what is one to believe?

As you can see, rather than answering my question, I am left with more questions.  What am I overlooking?

Still seeking the truth,
M.E.

ANSWER: JESUS IS ABADDON OR APOLLYON?

At Revelation 20:1-3 the angel having “the key of the abyss” is shown to be GOD’S representative from heaven, as he binds and hurls Satan into the abyss.

Commenting on Revelation 9:11, The Interpreter’s Bible says: “Abaddon is an angel NOT of Satan but of God, performing his work of destruction at God’s bidding.”

Jesus power with regard to the abyss is shown at Luke 8:31.

IN THE BEGINNING IT WAS MICHAEL WHO WAS IN HEAVEN WITH GOD. THEN HE CAME DOWN TO EARTH AS JESUS?

Scriptural evidence indicates that the name Michael applied to God’s Son before he left heaven to become Jesus Christ and also after his return.

The name Jesus (Jehovah Is Salvation) was prophetic of his role as Jehovah’s appointed Savoir, or means of salvation.—Mt 1:21; Lu 2:30.

Its not as if Jesus became different people :¬) he merely took on various names appropriate to the task he was given.

THEN HE CAME BACK AGAIN AS JESUS (FIRST RESURRECTION).

Jesus gave up his EARTHLY life in sacrifice, & so of course he was resurrected back to a spirit being again. The Bible states that “Michael and his angels battled with the dragon . . . and its angels.” (Revelation 12:7) Michael is the Leader of an army of faithful angels.

Revelation also describes Jesus as the Leader of an army of faithful angels. (Revelation 19:14-16) And the apostle Paul specifically mentions “the Lord Jesus” and “his powerful angels.” (2 Thessalonians 1:7; Matthew 16:27; 24:31; 1 Peter 3:22)

So the Bible speaks of both Michael and “his angels” and Jesus and “his angels.” (Matthew 13:41) Since God’s Word nowhere indicates that there are two armies of faithful angels in heaven—one headed by Michael and one headed by Jesus—it is logical to conclude that Michael is none other than Jesus Christ in his heavenly role.

THAN HE BECOMES SATAN... AND FINALLY REVERTS BACK TO JESUS.

Jesus NEVER became/becomes Satan.

Michael & Jesus are one & the same, no “reverting” needed

jw.org

QUESTION: Thank you for responding to my inquiry about the Jehovah's Witness theory that Jesus is Michael the archangel.  I will respond point by point.  

(Your point) Rev. 20:1-3 speaks of an angel coming down from heaven with the key of the abyss & a great chain.  (My response) Yes, the unidentified angel here would be a representative of God.  

(Your point) Rev. 9:11 (They have over them a king, the angel of the abyss.  In Hebrew his name is Abaddon, but in Greek he has the name Apollyon) You quote the Interpreter's Bible saying Abaddon is an angel NOT of Satan but of God, performing his work of destruction at God’s bidding.  I found this to be a contradiction of what Jehovah's Witnesses believe.  Will address that later.

(My response continues) Go back to verses 1 & 2 of that same chapter.  It says the key to the bottomless pit was given to an angel & he opened the pit. Does not say it was Abaddon/Apollyon who was given the key or who opened the pit.  He (being king over the locusts) came out of the pit with the locusts after the pit was opened by the angel having the key. So the angel who unlocked the pit was a representative of God, not the one who came out of the pit.  And the lock would have had to be on the inside of the pit for Abaddon to have unlocked it & let himself & his subjects the locusts out.

(Your point) Luke 8:31 And they kept entreating him not to order them to go away into the abyss. (NWT)  (My response) Not sure what you're getting at.  But even demons know Jesus has all power.   Matthew 28:18 says"...All authority has been given me in heaven & on the earth. (NWT)  I Peter 3:22 says:  He is at God's right hand, for he went his way to heaven; and angels & authorities and powers were made subject to him. (NWT)  How does Jesus having all power show that he & Michael are the same?  Micahel doesn't have all power.  Michael Can't forgive sins, perform miracles, heal, raise from the dead, etc.   

(Your point) Scriptural evidence indicates that the name Michael applied to God’s Son before he left heaven to become Jesus Christ and also after his return.  (My response) So why not cite the scriptures? It should be that simple.  Just saying it doesn't make it so.  I recall reading somewhere:  "if it were true it would clearly & consistently be presented in the Bible".  Maybe you've read that also. The first chapter of Hebrews does clearly & consistently refutes any idea that Jesus is/was an angel.  Please read it.  

(Your point) The name Jesus (Jehovah Is Salvation) was prophetic of his role as Jehovah’s appointed Savoir, or means of salvation.—Mt 1:21; Lu 2:30. (My response)  Mt 1:21 She will give birth to a son, and you must call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins. (NWT)  Lu 2:30 because my eyes have seen your means of saving (NWT)  Why are you changing the subject?  What does this have to do with Jesus being Michael?  

(Your point) Its not as if Jesus became different people :¬) he merely took on various names appropriate to the task he was given.

(Your point) Jesus gave up his EARTHLY life in sacrifice, & so of course he was resurrected back to a spirit being again. The Bible states that “Michael and his angels battled with the dragon . . . and its angels.” (Revelation 12:7) Michael is the Leader of an army of faithful angels. (My response)  Yes, Michael (an angel) has an army of angels & fought the dragon.  Does that prove he is Jesus?

(Your point) Jesus NEVER became/becomes Satan.  (My response)  I agree.

(Your point) Michael & Jesus are one & the same, no “reverting” needed.
(My response)  Brenda, you know I was just reiterating everything you had said & what I read on page 148 of the 1988 Watch Tower book "Revelation: It's Grand Climax At Hand" when I made that statement.  And by the way, you failed to address or acknowledge this.  Here is what I said:

"  Adding to my confusion, I've read in a 1988 WTBS book titled "Revelation, Its Grand Climax at Hand" that Jesus is Abaddon or Apollyon.  The following is a taken from the chapter "The First Woe---The Locusts)"  It also identifies the locusts as Jehovah's Witnesses' John class.

Quoting from this WTBS book (page 148):

Back to the current points & responses.....

So who is in error regarding Abaddon? The Interpreter's Bible or the Watch Tower??   If Jesus is Abaddon as the WT Book states, then he is 3 in one.  Jesus, Michael & Abaddon.  A triune being.  I think there's another word for that.  Even though the word is not in the Bible, the concept is there.

************

I'm closed to using up the 65000 character limit. so I'll stop for now.  Haven't addressed the armies of angels.  I'll save that for another time.

******************************

Brenda, We are to try the spirits.  Don't you agree? 1 John 4:1  Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. (NIV).

Jesus said he would send the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to guide us in all truth.  So we need only the Word & the Holy Spirit as our Teacher.

Answer
REV. 20:1-3 (KEY OF ABYSS) AN UNIDENTIFIED ANGEL & REV 9 VERSES 1 & 2 DOES NOT SAY IT WAS ABADDON/APOLLYON WHO WAS GIVEN THE KEY OR WHO OPENED THE PIT.  

Let’s identify this angel---At Revelation 9:1-11 the vision is presented of “a star” out of heaven to whom “the key of the pit of the abyss” is given and who opens that pit and releases a swarm of locusts, their king being “the angel of the abyss.”

Since the abyss, as shown at Romans 10:6, 7, evidently includes Hades (though it is not limited to Hades), it appears that “the key of the pit of the abyss” includes “the keys of death and of Hades” possessed by the resurrected Jesus Christ, as stated at Revelation 1:18.

The last-recorded use of “the key of the abyss” is at Revelation 20:1-7, where the vision describes an angel with that key casting Satan into the abyss, shutting and sealing it over him for a thousand years.

Plus; The Bible’s first prophecy (Gen 3:15) states that the ‘seed of the woman,’ (Jesus) after himself suffering a bruising of the heel, (died on earth) will bruise the serpent’s head (fatal wound)

In fulfilment;  the Serpent, Satan the Devil, is to be put into an abyss by Jesus, where he will be immobile for a thousand years and shortly thereafter is to be annihilated forever in “the lake of fire,” “the second death.”—Re 20:1-3, 7, 10, 14; 12:9.
------
THE ANGEL WHO UNLOCKED THE PIT WAS A REPRESENTATIVE OF GOD, NOT THE ONE WHO CAME OUT OF THE PIT.

There are not two angels??

“And I saw A STAR that had fallen from heaven to the earth, and the key of the pit of the abyss was given HIM. 2 And HE opened the pit of the abyss, and smoke ascended out of the pit as the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun was darkened, also the air, by the smoke of the pit. 3 And out of the smoke locusts came forth upon the earth; and authority was given them….”

1. Jesus (Jehovah’s representative) unlocked the pit.
2. Smoke & Locusts came out the pit, not an “angel”
-----------

LUKE 8:31 DEMONS ENTREATED JESUS NOT TO ORDER THEM TO GO AWAY INTO THE ABYSS.

When Christ was on earth, the demons identified him as the One who was to hurl them into the “abyss,” that was the reason I mentioned it.

THE FIRST CHAPTER OF HEBREWS REFUTES ANY IDEA THAT JESUS IS/WAS AN ANGEL.  

Paul pointed out the superiority of the Christian system and its priesthood when compared with Judaism, to these Hebrew Christians.

“ spoken to us by means of A SON, whom he (God) appointed HEIR of all things.

He (Jesus) is the reflection of [God’s] glory and the exact representation of his (God’s) very being

“he (Jesus) has BECOME better than the angels, to the extent that he has INHERITED a name more excellent than theirs.”

(this describes his situation after his having been here on earth, he became better than the angels. The ‘more excellent name’ or position is something he did not possess before coming to earth)
---------------

ABADDON IS AN ANGEL NOT OF SATAN, BUT OF GOD

The holder of this “key of the pit of the abyss” is later described as hurling SATAN into “the abyss.” (Revelation 20:1-3) Satan can’t hurl himself into the abyss??

Commenting on Revelation 9:11, The Interpreter’s Bible says: “Abaddon, however, is an angel not of Satan but of God”

So we are in complete agreement with the Interpreters bible.
-------

THE NAME JESUS (JEHOVAH IS SALVATION) WAS PROPHETIC OF HIS ROLE AS JEHOVAH’S APPOINTED SAVOIR; --WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH JESUS BEING MICHAEL?

Because you were going on about Jesus changing names & why would he be Michael, then Jesus, then back to Michael. I was explaining why his name changed to Jesus on earth. “his role as appointed Saviour” as I said—“he merely took on various names appropriate to the task he was given”

The custom of being called by more than one name is common in many cultures. For example, the patriarch Jacob is also named Israel. (Genesis 35:10) The apostle Peter is named in five different ways—Symeon, Simon, Peter, Cephas, and Simon Peter. (Matthew 10:2; 16:16; John 1:42; Acts 15:7, 14)
-----------

MICHAEL (AN ANGEL) HAS AN ARMY OF ANGELS & FOUGHT THE DRAGON. DOES THAT PROVE HE IS JESUS?

Who is Michael then? who else has angels at his disposal, who else has been appointed to “bind Satan”  its vital to find out who this Michael is don’t you think?

1. A dispatched angel is rescued by Michael. Daniel 10:13, 21,

2. in the time of the end, (right now) “Michael will stand up, the great prince who is standing in behalf of the sons of your people.” Daniel 12:1

3. Revelation 12:7 describes “Michael and his angels” as fighting a vital war that results in the ousting of Satan the Devil and his wicked angels from heaven.

So you tell me who this warrior angel battling for and protecting God’s people, even confronting Jehovah’s greatest enemy, Satan ?
-----

IF JESUS IS ABADDON AS THE WT BOOK STATES, THEN HE IS 3 IN ONE. A TRIUNE BEING.  

I repeat; The custom of being called by more than one name is common in many cultures. For example, the patriarch Jacob is also named Israel. (Genesis 35:10) The apostle Peter is named in five different ways—Symeon, Simon, Peter, Cephas, and Simon Peter. (Matthew 10:2; 16:16; John 1:42; Acts 15:7, 14)

Is Jacob a twin being because he had two names?

Is Peter 5 people in one, after all he has 5 names?

At Revelation 1:18 we find Christ Jesus stating: “I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.”

His power with regard to the abyss is shown at Luke 8:31.

That he has destroying power, including the power of destruction over Satan, is evident from Hebrews 2:14, which says that Jesus partook of blood and flesh in order that “through his death he might bring to nothing the one having the means to cause death, that is, the Devil.”

At Revelation 19:11-16 he is clearly represented as God’s appointed Destroyer or Executioner.

-----------

1 JOHN 4:1 TEST THE SPIRITS TO SEE WHETHER THEY ARE FROM GOD”

Couldn’t agree more :¬) most religions claim that what they say comes from God. Therefore, we do well to heed the words of Jesus’ apostle John, who wrote: “Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.” (1 John 4:1) How can we test something to see if it comes from God?

To illustrate--someone may look like a shepherd, but for sheep, that does not prove that he really is one. The sheep, in effect, test the caller’s voice, comparing it with the shepherd’s voice.

God’s Word tells us to do the same—“test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (2 Timothy 1:13)

Every time we read God’s Word, we hear, as it were, the voice of our Great Shepherd, Jehovah. (Psalm 23:1) Hence, the more we study the Bible, the more familiar we become with God’s voice. That intimate knowledge in turn enables us to detect instantly the voice of strangers.—Galatians 1:8.
----------

WE NEED ONLY THE WORD & THE HOLY SPIRIT AS OUR TEACHER.

Jesus commanded his followers to “preach the Kingdom good news to all nations”, a task that would be impossible without an international ORGANIZATION.

Jesus’ sheep listen to his voice, they become “one flock” under his leadership. (John 10:16) They are not scattered among independent churches and groups; nor are they divided over doctrinal matters. Rather, they all “speak in agreement.” (1 Corinthians 1:10) To dwell in unity, we need order, and order requires organization. Only a UNIFIED BROTHERHOOD can have God’s blessing.—Psalm 133:1, 3.

Acts 14:27 relates: “When they (Paul & his companions) had arrived and had gathered the congregation together, they proceeded to relate the many things God had done by means of them.” While they were still with that local congregation, a question arose about whether Gentile believers needed to be circumcised. To resolve the matter, Paul and Barnabas were sent “to the apostles and older men in Jerusalem,” who clearly served as a GOVERNING BODY.—Acts 15:1-3.

After deliberation and with the help of the HOLY SPIRIT, they reached a conclusion in harmony with the Scriptures. They sent this in writing to the local congregations. (Acts 15:22-32) Those receiving this information accepted and applied it.—Acts 16:5.

An attentive reading of the Scriptures shows clearly that Christ was behind the important meeting of the governing body held to settle the question as to whether Gentile Christians should submit to circumcision and the Law of Moses or not.

The book of Acts states that when the issue arose, “they [no doubt the responsible members, or elders, of the Antioch congregation] arranged for Paul and Barnabas and some others of them to go up to the apostles and older men in Jerusalem regarding this dispute.” (Acts 15:1, 2)

But when Paul relates the circumstances that led to his going to Jerusalem to have the circumcision issue settled, he states: “I went up as a result of a revelation.” (Galatians 2:1-3; compare 1:12.)

As the active Head of the congregation, Christ wanted this important doctrinal matter to be settled by the entire visible governing body. By means of the holy spirit, HE GUIDED THE MINDS of these devoted men in making their decision.—Acts 15:28, 29.

God’s word & holy spirit are essential & they are the basis for all decisions taken by the modern day “governing body” today.

all the best
Brenda  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin