Jehovah`s Witness/NWT

Question
Hi Sister T

Why do Jehovah's witnesses say that there will be those living on a paradise Earth?

There's not one scripture or even reason to say this, that I can see.

It seems a really strange doctrine to me. Everyone knows the hope the Bible teaches is in heaven.

Answer
Hi Montague,

Thanks for your question.  You know it's good that you ask that, because the answer is very important.

Let's look at the first humans on earth and what God had in mind when he created them.  

We see from the Bible that God actually planted a Garden where he placed man, called the Garden of Eden.  

Gen. 2:8 'Further, Jehovah God planted a garden in E′den, toward the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed."

In this Garden of Eden was every tree desirable to look upon and to eat.  And two other trees, the tree of life in the middle of the garden and the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.  

Gen. 2:9 Thus Jehovah God made to grow out of the ground every tree desirable to one’s sight and good for food and also the tree of life in the middle of the garden and the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.

Along with the beautiful and desirous trees, the Garden of Eden was well waterd with four rivers and there was gold and precious stones, and all sorts of animals.  (Gen. 2:10-14).

Imagine the scene, the beauty, is this not a paradise?  Indeed it is!

One command was given for them to be able to live there and never die, and that was this:

Gen. 2:16, 17 And Jehovah God also laid this command upon the man: “From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction.17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will positively die.”

Just think if no one ever ate from that tree of the knowledge of good and bad then no one would ever die, that means they would live on the earth forever! But if they did eat of that tree they would die, he didn't say the earth would die or be left vacant no he said the people who ate would die.

And we see here from this scripture that they were told to fill the earth.

Gen. 1:28 "Further, God blessed them and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth.”

As the Bible goes on to tell us, Adam and Eve were disobedient and ate of the tree, does that mean that God's purpose for the earth was over, would God give up on his original purpose because Adam and Eve didn't appreciate it?  No, we know that immediately God put into place provisions for his purpose to be fulfilled with people who truly loved him as he loved them.  As we see from this scripture here:

John 3:16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only‐begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

God purposed for people to live on earth in paradise conditions like Adam and Eve first enjoyed.  They messed up, but because of their disloyalty, God didn't become disloyal, because of their lack of love, God didn't become loveless, God purposed for humans to live on the earth and even though Adam caused us to be imperfect, God didn't give up on their offspring, God didn't become like them.

No God said that beautiful garden or park like paradise would have fulfillment, the earth was not made to be empty while everyone goes to heaven. Yes, some would go to heaven, but we have to remember, if Adam and Eve had never sinned, Jesus would never have had to come to earth to die for us, and therefore no one would have ever gone to heaven.  Only a few chosen people will go to heaven only because Jesus had to come down here.  But God said he didn't create the earth simply for nothing, but to be inhabited, so his original purpose for people to be on the earth was still in full force.

Isa 45:18 For this is what Jehovah has said, the Creator of the heavens, He the [true] God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited: “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else

We see that people hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth in peace:

Ps 37:9 For evildoers themselves will be cut off,
But those hoping in Jehovah are the ones that will possess the earth.

ps. 37:11 But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

And how long will they be on the earth in exquisite delight and abundant peace? Sounds like paradise conditions doesn't it?

Let's read Ps. 37:29 The righteous themselves will possess the earth,
And they will reside forever upon it.

So righteous people who hope in Jehovah will possess the earth in exquisite delight and abundant peace forever.

True Paradise!!

Jesus when on earth said this:  

Matt. 5:5 Happy are the mild‐tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth.

But let's look further at what God said,

Ps. 115:16 As regards the heavens, to Jehovah the heavens belong,
But the earth he has given to the sons of men.

Because of Jesus dying for us, faithful humans can soon enjoy the earth as it was originally purposed, and from the scriptures, that describes paradise conditions!

Rev. 21:3,4 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them.4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

Thanks,

Sister T
jw.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T