Jehovah`s Witness/ordained minister

Question
Hello Derrick...

I have tried asking the JW experts this but they have refused to answer, only making rude, comments that make no sense.

I was told that after I was baptized as a JW, I would be an Ordained Minister. I actively proclaimed this to people in field service and others. I thought this would lend credibility to the message. I was asked to prove this one day. I replied I most certainly was and then asked the Elders, when can I expect my certificate? I was told that I was registered at WTBTS and Jehovah knows. This should suffice. Have I been lying to people? This discredits me in the eyes of my peers,people of the world and associates, not to mention JWs. Are Baptized JWs Legally Ordained Ministers.

Answer
Hello, and thank you for writing with your question.

I apologize for the delay, but to be honest, I needed to do a little research before answering and get someone else's input on this matter since it was outside my area of expertise.  I simply did not want to tell you wrong, or give you inaccurate information.  I hope you don't mind, but I did consult with another expert on this board whose area of expertise is Organizational policy and the way the Watchtower operates.  My area is doctrinal.  

Am I understanding correctly that you are a JW yourself, and when you asked JWs on this board about this question, they were rude to you?  Not that I have trouble believing that they were rude, as some of them display this characteristic on a daily basis.  But to a fellow JW?  I am truly sorry that you experienced that, for merely asking a question.  It seems there are about 3 here especially, who get very irritable if they are asked a question they don't want to answer.  Kind of makes you wonder why they signed up.  There is no excuse for that kind of treatment.  

To answer your question...."Have I been lying to people?"

No, I do not think you have been lying, as you stated this in good faith and honestly felt it to be true.  Even inaccurate information is not the same as willful lying, if there is no intent to deceive involved.

Now, as I said, I consulted with another expert in order to give you an accurate answer to this.  If I may, I will relate to you what he said.

BEGIN QUOTE:

"

I am happy to provide what I know on the topic. The Watchtower magazine for many years explicitly said that at baptism a baptized Jehovah's Witness becomes an ordained minister in a association with the worldwide brotherhood of Jehovah's Witnesses. If needed I am sure that I can produce several references from the Watchtower CD saying such. In addition, at the baptism talk, the baptism speaker reads and makes it very clear that the baptism candidates understand that they are becoming ordained ministers in association with Jehovah's Witnesses. Whether the WT Society has changed the wording in recent years, I am not sure. But the questioner, and any JW from years back, is quite correct to come to the conclusion that are an ordained minister at baptism based on WT Society teaching for many years.

Up until the late 1960s many JWs carried a minister identification card with them for the very purpose of pulling out the card when questioned about their credentials while in field service. The WT Society stopped circulating those cards to the congregations by the early 1970s.

In recent years the harping about "you are an ordained minister" quieted down, like so many teachings that the WT decides to change. They just get quiet quiet about it for a few years. The questioner is wrong on one account. Members are not registered with the WTBTS. The WTBTS has no idea who its member's names are, so they are certainly not registered. However, the WT Society does have the names of all the appointed servants in the congregations as well as the regular pioneers. From experience, I do know that in practice only the elders are viewed as ordained ministers in the traditional sense. By that I mean that only elders perform marriages and funerals and teach at public functions like assemblies and so forth. The general JW, even though told that he is an ordained minister, does not act as one in a practical sense in the congregation.

I hope this helps a bit with the twists and turns.

END QUOTE:

Also, this expert gave me another link with a quite extensive read on this very subject as well.  It is....

http://www.silentlambs.org/ordainedminister.htm

I hope this helps answer your question, and I apologize that I was not more helpful.  This was simply an area that I was not too familliar with.

Take care, and have a wonderful day.

Derrick

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland