Jehovah`s Witness/Other holidays

Question
Your last answer got me thinking.  I kind of understand why celebrating Thanksgiving would be okay, but what about the other holidays with pagan roots such as Halloween, Valentine's Day, Christmas, and Easter?

Answer
That is a great question.  Being no part of this world seems like a clear statement, but sometimes it is really hazy in its application.  Simply to say that the world around us celebrates certain things does not necessarily mean that we should avoid the intent of some of these things.  Likewise, we should also evaluate our intentions in our practices of certain traditions.  The world pushes all of these days for one major unholy reason: the love of money.  However, the intent behind most of these days can be seen as a reminder of things that are holy.

Halloween - This is one where I can't see a Godly purpose at all.

Valentine's Day - Although the beginnings of this day is suspect, the intent today is to show love to others.  A person does not have to purchase gifts to show love to others.  1 Corinthians 13 has a lot to say about love.  We should do this every day, but I don't mind having a day set aside to remind me of that.

Christmas and Easter, in my opinion, are a bit of a different story.  There are some obvious problems with today's celebration: they are on the wrong day, non-Christians celebrate them, and they are over-commercialized.  It is not sacred, and that is disconcerting.  However, I believe that Christians should celebrate the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ and not overlook them and their importance.

There was a huge celebration of the birth of Jesus when it occurred.  Luke 2:9-14 illustrates how the angels celebrated in front of the shepherds.  The shepherds, after visiting Jesus, celebrated in verse 20.  In Mark 2:11, the magi celebrated by giving gifts and worshipping Jesus.  

The resurrection is also of utmost importance as it is the foundation of our faith in Christ.  1 Corinthians 15:17 says, "and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless..."  Praise God for the resurrection of Christ so my faith is not worthless!  

That said, should I avoid celebrating the birth and resurrection of our Lord and Savior?  No!  However, we should be very careful that the intent behind our traditions and practices are holy unto God.  The fact that the dates are wrong doesn't really bother me.  I do not limit my celebrations of Christ to one or two days per year.  While I believe that only those who have a relationship with Christ truly understand the importance of His birth and resurrection, the worldly celebration of Christmas and Easter offer me a golden opportunity to share that relationship with those who do not know Christ.

I hope I was able to help you answer your question.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Richard