Jehovah`s Witness/Thanksgiving

I noticed another question on here about Thanksgiving.  What do you think about people who celebrate or don't celebrate Thanksgiving?

People are free to do what they want, but I assume that you are asking me for my thoughts on celebrating the day itself.

I read the answer from the other expert, and he was partially correct in his statement that people misused it.  However, the misuse began after the initial Thanksgiving that he mentioned.  When the Pilgrims came to America, many didn't survive the first winter because they hadn't really learned to make the best use of the land.  The survivors made connections with the natives and began to flourish.  Following the first harvest, they gave thanks to God.  This was the first Thanksgiving.

Consider the words of Governor William Bradford written in America's God and Country “Thus out of small beginnings greater things have been produced by His hand that made all things of nothing, and gives being to all things that are; and, as one small candle may light a thousand, so the light here kindled hath shone unto many, yea in some sort to our whole nation; let the glorious name of [God] have all the praise" (ibid.).

Of course, just as in everything else, it was abused later, but it's roots are 100% based on giving God praise.  This is something the Bible does speak about.

King David wrote in the Psalms, “Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto Him with psalms” (95:2). “Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise: be thankful unto Him, and bless His name” (100:4). And, “O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good: for His mercy endures forever…Oh that men would praise the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness” (107:1,8-9).

The apostle Paul wrote, “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God” (Phil. 4:6). He also said, “Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Eph. 5:20).

As for me, I will gladly accept a day off of work to spend time with family, eat a good meal, and most importantly praise God for all He has done for us.  Same as every other day.

Jehovah`s Witness

I am not a Jehovah's Witness, however I can answer many questions concerning the ideas and doctrines on which they disagree with mainstream Christianity. I have spent a great deal of time in ministry with current and ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, as well as those who have started to become disillusioned with the Watchtower Organization.

Jehovah's Witnesses are generally wonderful and moral people who are zealous for God. However, in their zeal, they have pledged allegiance to what they believe is God's spirit-directed organization. This allegiance blinds them from allowing God's word alone to work in them. My hope is to share the love of Jesus Christ with all who seek salvation, no matter their label or denomination. My experiences come from the relationship that I have with Him as the source of my daily strength. These experiences create an undeniable testimony of salvation by grace through faith in the cleansing blood of the Lamb of God. Through prayer and meditation on God's holy word alone, we find truth as revealed to us through the Holy Spirit.

As the word "organization" is misleading in this particular area, I want to be clear that, as a member of the body of Christ, the label or denomination of the church I attend is not the source of my salvation. I do not go to or through any organization for official knowledge or guidance. I go to God's word alone.

I have a Bachelor and Master's Degree with extensive educational experience.