Jehovah`s Witness/In three days I will rebuid my temple

Question
QUESTION: I was reading the bible and came across a verse that seems to go against what the jw's believe.  I asked a couple of jw's that I work with and got no answer or indication that they wanted to find out either. The verse is where Jesus says "Destroy this temple and in three days I will rebuild it,the temple refers to the body" Now my first question is the "I". I assume that means Jesus rebuilt his body. Referring to the temple as a physical thing, I also assume the body to be a physical thing. It's my understanding that the Jews wanted proof that Jesus was the Son of God and this is what he offered as proof. No resurrection no no proof right? In other verses it says the Father resurrected him and some that the Holy Spirit. So why does Jesus say I will rebuild and not my Father?

ANSWER:      Hello Again Kev

Hope your fine

You said you came across a verse that seems to go against with the JW's belief, Well, let me tell you that this is not uncommon issue for us. I mean, from the beginning, christendoms already believed that Jesus rose with the same BODY just for that passage you cited above!
    Well, I can't force you to just believe on our teachings that Jesus rose in a spirit body(1 Peter 3:18)

(1 Corinthians 15:45)
     45 It is even so written: “The first man Adam became a living soul.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
    __________________________________________
    You:

"Destroy this temple and in three days I will rebuild it,the temple refers to the body" Now my first question is the "I". I assume that means Jesus rebuilt his body. Referring to the temple as a physical thing, I also assume the body to be a physical thing. It's my understanding that the Jews wanted proof that Jesus was the Son of God and this is what he offered as proof."
    Reply:

Kinda' like the "THIS" and "IT" issue here while yours is just an "I" now!hehe Well, to repeat, Jesus was not referring his FLESHY BODY! but the TEMPLE of his BODY... So the reason why JESUS says "I" will rebuild it",,, is that because there's no one that is QUALIFIED to BUILD it except JESUS himself because(again) ". . . he is the head of the body, the congregation. ."--(Colossians 1:18) And because(again) he also said: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth”(Matthew 28:18) So there's no question!!!!  So immediately on the 3rd day, he appeared to his disciples and then lifted them up out of their despondency and BUILT THEM UP SPIRITUALLY!!! So that's why we read passage like these:

(Ephesians 4:11)"11 And he gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers, 12 with a view to the readjustment of the holy ones, for ministerial work, for the building up of the body of the Christ"

=So an "I" there has entirely nothing to do with Jesus REBUILDING his FLESHY BODY!! :-)

QUESTION: Thank you for your response.  You have raised more questions for me.  In col.1:18 you only quoted part of the verse,some might construe that as misleading. the rest of it states that He is the beginning,the firstborn from the dead,that in all things he might have preeminence. You also say that only Jesus was qualified and that all authority has been given to him in heaven and earth. I seem to remember other verses that say God raised Him from the dead and others that say the Spirit did. As far as being raised as a spirit, why did Jesus say to some people who thought he was a spirit,"does a spirit have flesh and bones"?  Seems to me that Jesus went out of his way to show them he was not a spirit but a living person. Also a passage where he sat sat down and ate and when He appeared to Thomas with His wounds. If Jesus was raised in spirit, what happened to His body? Again, the fact that the angels in His tomb made it clear that the body was not stolen.I don't recall any evidence that shows that his body was destroyed scripturally speaking,so someone reading the bible by themselves could logically conclude that His body was raised. That's what I understand when I read the bible. I don't believe that God wrote the bible so that lay people couldn't understand it. That's why He repeats things over and over in different ways. Giving different examples of the same point.
Thanks for listening,look forward to your response.  Kevin

Answer
You:

"You have raised more questions for me. In col.1:18 you only quoted part of the verse,some might construe that as misleading. the rest of it states that He is the beginning,the firstborn from the dead,that in all things he might have preeminence. You also say that only Jesus was qualified and that all authority has been given to him in heaven and earth."

Reply:

Okay, so let us assume that JESUS is not the "HEAD OF THE CONGREGATION"... and what he only have is just the "given" "all-authority" in heaven and earth.. So does that make him UNQUALIFIED now to rebuild it???? Clearly NOT!!!! So let me clarify this thing for you!!! You can't change the fact that JESUS is the "HEAD OF THE CONGREGATION" No "IF's" or "BUT's" please read:

(Ephesians 5:23)

23“ because a husband is head of his wife as the Christ also is head of the congregation, he being a savior of [this] body.”

(Ephesians 1:22)

22“ He also subjected all things under his feet, and made him head over all things to the congregation,”

>>So to connect this fact to the time when JESUS says: “Break down this temple, and in three days “I” will raise it up.” --- The “I” there... denotes to HIMSELF(probably) so no question of him raising "THE TEMPLE OF HIS BODY" or "THE SPIRITUAL TEMPLE" after 3 days since all authority has been given to him right???? because the time that JESUS was "RESURRECTED" he immediately BUILT THEM UP SPIRITUALLY!!! That's why we read scriptures like this:

(Ephesians 4:11)

"11 And he gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers, 12 with a view to the readjustment of the holy ones, for ministerial work, for the building up of the body of the Christ"
_________________________________________________________

You:

"I seem to remember other verses that say God raised Him from the dead and others that say the Spirit did.:

Reply:

NO!! Only Jehovah GOD resurrected him(Jesus)!!! We know that “God is a spirit”(John 4:24) right??? So since God possessed the holy spirit, so it can't be God! read:

(2 Samuel 23:2) (King James Version)
2 The Spirit of the LORD(YHWH) spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.

(2 Samuel 23:2) (New World Translations of JW)
2 The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue.

>>So the "SPIRIT" is said to spoke with samuel! So WHOSE spirit was speaking to SAMUEL??? So it's OF "YHWH" or "JEHOVAH" so Jehovah "possessed" IT.. then IT can't be God!!! And why it's called "HOLY SPIRIT"??? because it's FROM Jehovah so IT must be "HOLY" since it's Jehovah's ACTIVE FORCE!!!

>>Jehovah God uses his holy spirit to resurrect Jesus that's why it says here:

(Romans 8:11)
11 If, now, the spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in YOU, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead will also make YOUR mortal bodies alive through his spirit that resides in YOU.

>>But since Jehovah God is the "ORIGINATOR" of that JESUS' resurrection, then NO WONDERS that all these verses here always points to HIM(Jehovah) as the one who resurrect JESUS(not the holy spirit):

(Galatians 1:1)
1 Paul, an apostle, neither from men nor through a man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him up from the dead

(Romans 10:9)
9 For if you publicly declare that ‘word in your own mouth,’ that Jesus is Lord, and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead, you will be saved.

(1 Peter 1:21)

21 who through him are believers in God, the one who raised him up from the dead and gave him glory; so that YOUR faith and hope might be in God.

(Acts 3:15)

15 whereas YOU killed the Chief Agent of life. But God raised him up from the dead, of which fact we are witnesses.

(Acts 2:32)

32 This Jesus God resurrected, of which fact we are all witnesses.

>>So if God raised Jesus up from the DEAD,(where the teaching is that the father and son and holy spirit are one) Now, who among the 3 distinct persons "DIED FOR OUR SINS" ??? :-)

You:

"As far as being raised as a spirit, why did Jesus say to some people who thought he was a spirit,"does a spirit have flesh and bones"? Seems to me that Jesus went out of his way to show them he was not a spirit but a living person."

Reply:

So common sense! GOD is a SPIRIT! even ANGELS are SPIRIT:

(Hebrews 1:14)
14 Are they not all spirits for public service, sent forth to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation?"

So Jesus as an ANGEL, then, no wonder he's a SPIRIT for "FLESH and BLOOD" cannot inherit in the KINGDOM OF GOD:

(1 Corinthians 15:50)
50 However, this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s kingdom, neither does corruption inherit incorruption

>>So how come JESUS said at (Luke 24:39) that he is not a SPIRIT but have FLESH and BONES??? Well, logically, he's using a MATERIALIZED BODY as ANGELS done prior to JESUS times so that humans CAN SEE them and so that they could also SEE JESUS. In fact, YOU can't SEE a "SPIRIT"(of course!) And to add up, if YOU apply what PAUL said about the resurrection, then you will agree with the JW's why Jesus raised as a SPIRIT:

(1 Corinthians 15:44)
44 It is sown a physical body, it is raised up a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one.

>>Now tell me, where in the BIBLE that states that a HEAVENLY CREATURE is a "FLESHY" and a "BLOODLESS" one but has a "BONES"??? :-)
You:

"Also a passage where he sat sat down and ate and when He appeared to Thomas with His wounds. If Jesus was raised in spirit, what happened to His body? Again, the fact that the angels in His tomb made it clear that the body was not stolen.I don't recall any evidence that shows that his body was destroyed scripturally speaking,so someone reading the bible by themselves could logically conclude that His body was raised"

Reply:

Logically, even the fathers of the NEPHILIM back then obviously they also sat down and ate with their families. Even the two angels who warned LOT they sat down and ate also with LOT(Genesis 19:3; and also Genesis 18:8). So, no questions that Jesus can't do the same thing since he is such!!! And talking about the wounds of JESUS, just simply ask yourself, why is there a NEED really to CONVINCE thomas since He(Jesus) raised with his OWN BODY as christendoms claimed???? Did the DISCIPLES forget the FACE of their "TEACHER" so there must really be a NEED of CONVINCEMENT whatsoever??? Does seeing his FACE again IS NOT ENOUGH to prove that he was HIM(Jesus)???? (Poor demonic teaching) So since Jesus body was made for a RANSOM "sacrifice" also, then there's NO WAY that he will takes it back again after 3 days right???. For THIS IS NOT a 3-day LOAN !!!  It's a SACRIFICE !!! So we could logically conclude that his BODY wasn't raised up but just like MOSES Body, only God knows where he buried it!

You:

"That's what I understand when I read the bible. I don't believe that God wrote the bible so that lay people couldn't understand it."

Reply:

So YES! you're right!!!! And as you said, "That's why He repeats things over and over in different ways. Giving different examples of the same point. "

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro K.J. P. Nacilla